Run Blower when Running Diesel Genset

Bg56126

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Hi all - I’m getting excited to start a full season with a 2006 Express I picked up in September last year. I upgraded from a GW Sailfish which I had for six years. This is my first boat with a generator and I definitely run the blower before starting the generator but do you all run the blower after the generator starts? As a safety precaution I added an additional CO2 and smoke detector in the cabin but curious what you all think about running the blower when running the generator. I can see opinions either way…

Reactions: Angler Management

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
You should have air scoops that feed air through the engine compartment when under way. I put the blower on for a minute or two and open the engine hatch before starting up. Once started I shut off the blower when moving.

Bg56126

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
That’s what I’ve been doing, is shutting the blower once the generator starts. But I was talking to someone at the dock the other day who runs a gas generator and says he leaves the blower running the entire time. I thought this was weird but wanted to get other opinions.

Fishtales

Reaction score
You should have air scoops that feed air through the engine compartment when under way. I put the blower on for a minute or two and open the engine hatch before starting up. Once started I shut off the blower when moving.
^^^ This.

Old Whitehead

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
As long as we are talking about generators, has anyone tried to replace the impeller on a Fischer Panda 4200. I watched the video and it is a simple job, but my question is how do you get to it since it is on the backside of the generator? This is also my first season with a 2007 305 Express.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Don’t know about the 305, but the 330 is doable but not easy. Make sure to replace the screws with studs to allow much easier placement of the wing nuts. You use a Allen wrench to thread the wing nuts onto the studs. There are numerous posts with advice, I provided pictures of the replacement studs on the earlier post.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Hi all - I’m getting excited to start a full season with a 2006 Express I picked up in September last year. I upgraded from a GW Sailfish which I had for six years. This is my first boat with a generator and I definitely run the blower before starting the generator but do you all run the blower after the generator starts? As a safety precaution I added an additional CO2 and smoke detector in the cabin but curious what you all think about running the blower when running the generator. I can see opinions either way…
When the boat is moving. You don’t need the blower. It’s a good idea to run it when you are not moving.