Running a Freedom 285 in the winter?

Maryland_boater

Reaction score
I boat in the Chesapeake Bay. Currently I have a 23-ft center consul. I typically just put a tarp over the controls around Nov and if we get a warm weekend in the winter might run the boat. I keep the boat on a lift. I’d like a boat I can run year round regardless of weather. I’ve been leaning towards the Parker’s with Pilot house…but they are way too fishing/commercial forward focus looking. I’m looking at the freedom 285 and want to know if people run their freedoms year round using the plastic curtains all around?

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
We run our 255 late into October with the panels up in RI/CT. The cockpit stays nice and warm while the folks in the CC's are shivering.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Years ago when I bought my 265. We sea trialed it on Long Island NY in March. They had to shovel the snow out of the back cockpit before we could board. With the enclosure up it was nice and comfortable in the helm area. You just need to worry about winterizing water systems etc. in the winter depending on how cold it gets where you keep it.

billyttpd

Reaction score
I wouldn't unsnap anything on the enclosure, or you may have a hard time getting it resecured. Zippers should be fine to use though.