Running at night

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Lol sorry, busy as heck. I “went overboard” on boat expenses this month sooooo...lol

Sshh don’t tell anyone, but I like the idea of washing and cleaning and outfitting the boat before I go out anyway;)

I remembered something I had forgotten after someone mentioned it...I need to chock my wheels after backing her up and then pull forward to release the brakes or they can seize up. I bet that plus the solenoid is the cause of the trailer locking up.

Anyway, @ocnslr I’ll be fine, just ...right now, all I have is talk through all my thoughts. My problem is not so much experience as the fact I have no-one around me with even 1/4 of it...so, while I work on getting her ready, I have a freaking stack of fishing magazines that someone gave me and I talk through each “scenario” with you guys so I get my head in the game.

As for paying your expenses, I’d almost take you up on it just for the fun of it heh.;)

Alas, all new brakes, an a/c install...all that and a few last minute things (got new life vests and a 2nd large fire extinguisher, new flares, etc...and daddy is tapped out with what the wife will let me soend heh;) maybe later in the year;)

Russ

Finest Kind

Reaction score
Great advice above, I'll just add and stress, that it is very important to run your radar every time you use your boat.
Being in a salt-water environment you gotta keep it "exercised" so you know it will WORK when you need it to. (besides, regulations state any boat equipped with radar must have it on while underway)

But most importantly, you need to USE it during the day (when you don't NEED it) in order to LEARN how to how your unit displays other boats, channel markers, and lobster pots at night when you WILL need it.

AND, one of the most important features of your Radar is it's use as a Fishing tool.
Use it to find "the fleet" when you are offshore hunting for Tuna without luck finding life, and/or use it to find flocks of birds feeding over schooling fish.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Yea, not sure if my model will pick out the birds or not. Plan to turn it on for the first time this weekend heh.. I want to re-crimp a new end onto it. I ordered a pair of the Garmin replacement ends.

Will be time to see if all this stuff integrates together.

I also have a Steadycast, debating where to put it. I read it does not like to be close to other electronics, but not sure what "close" means.

R

Lsquared

Reaction score
Russ...quit playin around and get that thing in the water already. :D

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Good lord, I am trying.. lol

This weekend is a bust, wife and daughter out of town for her sister's baby shower (Wife's sister lol)... hoping to run to the coast the following weekend. Weekend after that, mom visit :p

R

mmiela

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Good thing Russ doesn’t live in New England he wound have missed have the season by now.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Can someone post a photo of the Radar overlay on the GPS chart plotter. Thanks.
you might be able to see it on your own unit even if you do not have radar. Check and see if your GPS has a simulation option and check Radar overlay simulation and you will see it live on your GPS.

Reactions: Heyspike

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The best time to do night running is when there is a full moon. Amazing visibility improvement. May help you getting used to your electronics at night

Reactions: Ozz043 and Pez Vela

Newport Grady

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I have been running at night since I was a boy, 15, and too young to know. I am now 56 and go out at night all the time. I was out last night on Narragansett Bay.

There is way way too much reliance on technology. Way too much. Use your eyes. Slow down one third. The people who seem to get in trouble are glued to a screen. Local knowledge is much better. I go out on the ocean. Cross the Caribbean at night, etc.

If you are going to do this probably the best thing to do is get some local knowledge and go out during the day. Several times. Drive slow. Memorize the buoys and monuments. How do you think those old Capt. Quints do it - they know it like the back of their hand. I have a gps. Much better by sight.

If you ever get into a place you are not sure of, well then you go to technology and even then just to get a bearing. As soon as you know where you are proceed slowly. Stay off technology.

Here, I will give you a few examples of where technology killed you at night: Andrea Doria (radar set at wrong distance. 2 boats the size of Titanic hit); Italian cruise ship 3 years ago (ego, fast, stupid= bad combo); Volvo round the world ran up on a reef off Dominican Republic 3 years ago, using technology hit a reef that is actually on the chart; Volvo going into Hong Kong 3 years ago killed fisherman. Too fast for conditions, no look out).

As for rogue waves, seen em. They are out there. Rare though. Typically out can see them. Always you can hear them. They “growl” from a half mile away. This was open Atlantic. Of course, if bad weather or rough, just stay in port.

Ozz043

Reaction score
Some very good advice fellas !

Yes get used to the area and equipment during the day, save some routes, let loved ones know of your travel plans by providing them with a map and coordinates, regularly check your radios are working.....to be quite honest I would go straight for my phone as I have coverage everywhere I fish...life jackets MUST be worn and have a grab bag ready with all of your safety gear in it.

Only spending time will give you confidence so little by little get out earlier and earlier.....the advantage of the morning is that you know it’s going to get light soon...

imjus4u2nv

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Some very good advice fellas !

Yes get used to the area and equipment during the day, save some routes, let loved ones know of your travel plans by providing them with a map and coordinates, regularly check your radios are working.....to be quite honest I would go straight for my phone as I have coverage everywhere I fish...life jackets MUST be worn and have a grab bag ready with all of your safety gear in it.

Only spending time will give you confidence so little by little get out earlier and earlier.....the advantage of the morning is that you know it’s going to get light soon...

Good advice. With the cell phone, I also have the closest coast guard station as a quick dial (I imagine a delay in response time by calling 911) but would go for the VHF (especially if don't have local number) get the coast guard, local police, fire) at one shot.

Reactions: Ozz043