Running Genset at Cruise

Harrysea

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Should I expect any problems running my Fischer-Panda and AC while running at cruise speed? It seems like folks do, but I’ve never tried it.

Bg56126

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I’m no expert in this category but I’ve been doing this for 3 - 4 years on my Express with no issues. On my sea trial for the boat (first one with a generator & AC) the surveyor and prior owner said it was common practice in the southern states. I was also just having the identical conversation with two guys who both own Marlins on Sunday and one runs it while cruising at speed and the other does not.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I do it all the time. Just remember to close the seacock when running without the generator on. Not sure why everyone is afraid to run the generators. Guys with big boats run them whenever they are off the dock.

Coastboater

Reaction score
Not on a Grady, but I had a Back Cove with a panda genset that I would run at cruise to cool the helm and down below.

twin yams

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have a 330 Express with the gas genny and I run it almost every time I leave the dock. Had it rebuilt 2 years ago and the mechanic told me, the more you run it the better off you will be.