running in new outboards

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have finally made the decision to buy new F225's for my 265.

As i have never had brand new outboards before I was wondering what the recomendations are for running them in correctly.My understanding is that the dealer runs them in a tank for 2 hours prioir to delivery and then he is saying just don't let them sit on one rev range for too long.

Anything more specific from the experienced ones here???

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I cannot speak for four stroke outboards, but my two stroke was similar to what you describe. It has been ten years, but the Yamaha written directions were something like; one hour at less than 2000 rpm, one hour at 1000 - 4000 rpm then the next two hours at 600-5000 never at one rpm more than fifteen minutes. Again I am not sure of the details, but I think you get the idea.

Congratulations on the new engines. Althouth there are many that think the 200 HPDI are the ideal engines, I am not sure I agree with that. Different strokes for different floks I guess (pun intended). I think you will be very happy!

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
the 225 are the best 4 stroke yami makes!!!!

no u break them in unless u work with dealer

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The owners manual included with the engines should show what the recommendations are. I know the dealer running them in a tank for 2 hours is not part of it, but might be part of what he feels is necessary, he might be checking systems and the install for himself that way, not sure. Just do not run high high rpm's for the first 10 or so hours, I believe Yamaha recommends that and do not stay at one rpm for more then 10-15 min at a time, vary it so the cylinder walls can be broekn in correctly and do not wear funny. I would jump up a few hundred then back down, maybe 200-400rpm jumps each time you change to vary it a bit. I believe the break in period is the first 10 hours and then the dealer is supposed to change the filters and oil and such and check diagnostics then your set to go however you wish to run it. I know the manual is clearer and more specific. We also got a sheet from our Yamaha dealer printed from Yamaha with recommended operation for our HPDI when we repowered our old boat, you should recieve something similar I would think. Best of luck with the new engines, you will love them...it will be great to have a conversation underway and not have to yell. Best word of advice...check the tachs before you start the engines so you do not try and start them while they are running, many going from 2 strokes to 4 strokes do this.