Running Light Replacement Bulb

Shady_Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Does anyone know a source for the 13.5 volt, 10 watt bulbs for the running lights. GW dealer and a couple others only have bulbs rated at 12 volt and 7.9 watt. I’m thinking this would reduce output and therefore visibility. Online search pops up bayonet style where mine are not.

Shady_Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That helps. I now know mine ‘are’ SC bayonet style. WM has 9.3 W, 13.5 V. My boat is. 2007 226 and the bulb that burned out was 10W.

seasick

Reaction score
I have to admit that that I was unaware and surprised that the bulbs came in different 'voltages' for what I would call a 12 volt application. I could understand that a bulb might be rated at 13.5 volts for a 12 app but what really surprised me was they there are 12.8 volt bulbs as well as 13.5 and 12.0.

I don't understand the reason for differences in specs. Perhaps it has to do with the parameters used for measure the wattage or the light output. Maybe the higher voltage bulbs would have longer life than a 12 volt that is powered by 13 volts.
I never looked at bulb specs, I just go the same style number:)

Reactions: Shady_Grady

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Could it be you get 10W with 13.5V and less light output with 12V? Fixed resistance, so @ 12V you only get 8.8W.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
During my refurbish of my 228, I did away with the old school incandescent bulbs and fixtures and went Attwood 2 mile LED's. Might be an option for you.
20170511_213719.jpg

Fishtales

Reaction score
I installed the LED bulbs too. Much brighter. You can also install LED replacement bulbs for existing application. Search the net and see what you can find.

seasick

Reaction score
I installed the LED bulbs too. Much brighter. You can also install LED replacement bulbs for existing application. Search the net and see what you can find.
One thing to be aware of when substituting LED bulbs for incandescent is that the spectrum of LED light is pretty narrow. When using a 'white' led bulb in a navigation fixture that has colored lenses, the actual light output could be less and maybe a lot less than needed. I personally do not recommend relamping colored lens fixtures with LED bulbs

seasick

Reaction score
Could it be you get 10W with 13.5V and less light output with 12V? Fixed resistance, so @ 12V you only get 8.8W.
Yes that is true and also the light output will be significantly less and the difference in wattage since for incandescent, the output is related to the filament temperature ant that is related directly to current.
The part I don't understand is why the need to spec lamps at different voltages.
Let's take the case where you might have bulb rated at a certain output at 13.5 volts. Maybe that is the voltage the fixture gets with the motors running but at anchor or not anchored but not under power, the bulbs will see more like 12 or 12.5 depending on the charge state of the battery. That will reduce the wattage draw of the lamp and also is light output. USCG regs require a certain output and a visibility of 2,3 or 5 miles depending on boat size. So if the bulb doesn't have enough output at 12 volts it wouldn't meet the regs. I tried to find some explanation on the different voltage ratings but was not able. How am I going to sleep tonight?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Its lumens that tell you how bright the bulb is. Watts can be misleading. An inefficient bulb can put out most of its watts in heat.
Power(Watts) is simply the Voltage(Volts) x Current(Amps). It is not a measurement of light.

You can't get too caught up in the ratings. That is the wattage that was measured at the voltage tested. Some mfg tested them at the "nominal " 12V and others tested at 13.8v.
Remember, YOUR boat's "12Vdc" will range from 11.8 to 14 v at a fixture depending on length of wire and how many fixtures and how well the battery/charging circuit is working.

These ratings are important to the designer of a circuit. They use this to size the wire and fuses and limit the number of fixtures, etc..

The best way to get the right bulb is to look at the owners manual for the original bulb number and get that one or its cross referenced number from another mfg.

And YES, replacing with LED is the way to go. The reduction in power(Watts) for equivalent or brighter light (lumens) is enormous.

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
As noted, the wattage that a bulb is rated for is determined by the resistance of the heating element (an incandescent is essentially a heating element that also gives off light... light is basically the secondary function, which is why they are inefficient), but is also a function of volts. Agree - just go by the model number of the bulb. Every bulb that I've ever seen has it stamped right on the brass base - assuming the one currently in there is the proper one, of course... but to be sure, do as mentioned above and check the owner's manual.

Another note about changing ONLY the bulb to LED is that the reflector in the housing was designed for an incandescent's wavelength. The reflector may not work as efficiently for an LED. While the LED may "appear" to be bright enough from nearby, at 1 or 2 miles away, it very well may not be. This is not an area where you want to take a chance. On a cockpit light fixture - sure, absolutely - but when you're relying on one, tiny, little bulb to make you seen to other boaters at night... best not to take chances for the sake of a few bucks.

'Nother note... it's not like this is an interior bulb that may be used while the engine is off. This particular bulb ONLY sees use when the engine is on and charging the battery. For the most part, saving this miniscule amount of energy is pretty much a moot point since the engine is running. But, of course, it's never a bad thing to save energy, either... along with the longer lifespan of an LED assembly/fixture.

Fishtales

Reaction score
One thing to be aware of when substituting LED bulbs for incandescent is that the spectrum of LED light is pretty narrow. When using a 'white' led bulb in a navigation fixture that has colored lenses, the actual light output could be less and maybe a lot less than needed. I personally do not recommend relamping colored lens fixtures with LED bulbs

Good input. I used the bulbs in my mast light which was clear and the Attwood led fixtures for the port/starboard. The latter are much brighter that the stock ones.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
'Nother note... it's not like this is an interior bulb that may be used while the engine is off. This particular bulb ONLY sees use when the engine is on and charging the battery. For the most part, saving this miniscule amount of energy is pretty much a moot point since the engine is running. But, of course, it's never a bad thing to save energy, either... along with the longer lifespan of an LED assembly/fixture.

;)Unless you are like me and leave the dock in the dark with Nav lights on and drift or anchor while fishing all day and then realize you never turned them off when you get back to the dock....

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I personally do not recommend relamping colored lens fixtures with LED bulbs

Seasick is right on with this advice. In many instances for critical installations such as navigation lights the Coast Guard does not approve of substituting LED bulbs in fixtures designed for incandescent ones.

seasick

Reaction score
While trying to understand the different specs for '12v' bulbs, I learned something new.
Vessels are not permitted to show any sort of lighting that may confuse another vessel. The Coast Guard Regs gives an example of blue underwater accent lighting than may appear as flashing to other boats due to to wave action or hull motion. A flashing blue light is reserved for police vessels. Can you imagine getting boarded because your underwater lights appeared to be flashing?
Flashback:
Many moons ago in my very early teenage years I had a car that I installed blue lights behind the grill. I thought they looked cool:). One night, I got pulled over by the police because blue lights were reserved for voluntary firemen. I avoided a ticket by volunteering to remove the lights. The cop told me to remove them right then and there which I did:) I had to show the removed wires and parts to the officer and he let me off with a warning.

Shady_Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I really appreciate all the input on this. It was my first post. I think my path will be to switch to LED by buying complete units at some future point and getting by with the closest bulb I can find for now. I did not buy my boat new so I can’t be sure the first owner had not changed out the bulbs. I ‘will do’ what I should have before now and check the Owner’s Manual for a bulb number like I am familiar with on cars. The bulb that burned out did not have a number, just the voltage and wattage. Thanks again- John

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
While trying to understand the different specs for '12v' bulbs, I learned something new.
Vessels are not permitted to show any sort of lighting that may confuse another vessel. The Coast Guard Regs gives an example of blue underwater accent lighting than may appear as flashing to other boats due to to wave action or hull motion. A flashing blue light is reserved for police vessels. Can you imagine getting boarded because your underwater lights appeared to be flashing?
Flashback:
Many moons ago in my very early teenage years I had a car that I installed blue lights behind the grill. I thought they looked cool:). One night, I got pulled over by the police because blue lights were reserved for voluntary firemen. I avoided a ticket by volunteering to remove the lights. The cop told me to remove them right then and there which I did:) I had to show the removed wires and parts to the officer and he let me off with a warning.
100% correct. There can be NO other lights visible (besides the typical red/green and white all-around) while the boat is underway. The reason behind this is that I, as another boater, could be confused and it could lead to an accident. If I see only red and white, I know you are crossing me from my stbd side and it's my job to give-way. If there are other lights involved, I may be confused about which way you are actually heading/facing and also how many boats are in front of me.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I guess we were breaking Coastie rules all night long...but the water was too deep for them....

unrep sequence 1.jpgunrep sequence 5.jpg

Guess these guys break the rules to....images.jpeg I see them all the time.wpid-photo-20140930183717.jpg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
None of those are recreational boats, though. Although that third one look likes a cruise boat, so I'm sure there's lot's of "recreation" going on onboard there!