Running out of fuel

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Had a interesting problem the other day getting fuel. Running off one tank to each engine. Both tanks low but had at least 1/8 tank. Ran to the marina that has a 1/4 mile long no-wake zone. Fueled the boat and went to start the engines back up. No start on either one - both crank fine. After short panic and then thinking about it I pumped the fuel bulbs for a while. Took engine out of neutral, tried starting, got them to sputter and then start running. My guess is moving at a slow speed with some extra weight up forward and low on fuel the remaining fuel ran forward and was not in contact with the pickups.

Last edited:

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Your guess might be right, but I also wonder if you picked up some trash that is hindering fuel flow.
Our 1st year with this boat I had both engines die within 10 minutes. I could get them running by filling the vst from the primer bulbs, but the engines couldn't draw fuel alone. The previous owner didn't run stabilizer and the tank had varnish. The ethanol cleaned off the varnish and plugged filters. I would consider taking a peak in your tank and/or see if any garbage is in your filters.

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I don't run engines on separate tanks. Run both engines Aux first. If you "run it dry" one engine will die first because the pickups are slightly staggered. That warns you that the tank is low and you are still running one engine on that tank. Switch both motors to Main...same warning if you "run dry"

not sure this sound right? "Took engine out of neutral, tried starting, got them to sputter and then start running."

You can't start if not in neutral.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
not sure this sound right? "Took engine out of neutral, tried starting, got them to sputter and then start running."

You can't start if not in neutral.
Correction: I pushed the button on the side of the control and pushed the throttle up. I assume the neutral start is on the gear shift.

The boat looks good in the water. But with a 40CF aluminum helium tank, bow thruster, Group 34 battery, refrigerator full of soda, dozen rods, tackle locker, life jackets, ditch bag and lunch there are 200+ lbs up in the cabin. With light tanks easy to believe stern was high.

Last edited:

seasick

Reaction score
You probably had no fuel under the pickup. When the hull settled down, the gas ran forward starving the pickup.
Less likely but possible depending on the engines is that you have weak lift or low pressure pumps and they just can't suck gas at the level the gas is sitting.
I have my doubts that was the case though since both motors acted up.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
You probably had no fuel under the pickup. When the hull settled down, the gas ran forward starving the pickup.
Less likely but possible depending on the engines is that you have weak lift or low pressure pumps and they just can't suck gas at the level the gas is sitting.
I have my doubts that was the case though since both motors acted up.
I'm sure the fuel ran forward and starved the pickups.

amf282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I'd check your fuel/water separator filters. A tank that low could have an accumulation of water unless you are running ethanol free gas. Just a suggestion.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Lucky man. Almost didn't make it....