Rust at through hulls

Tinny

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hello,

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue - recommendations. Something to worry about or normal?

Earlier this year bought a 12 year old 282 sailfish. Boat was lift kept and there were no signs of rust at the through hulls. Survey showed port side as being dry, with a little bit of moisture on the starboard side around through hulls but was told nothing to worry about.

In any case, boat is now moored full time and have noticed some rust forming along 3 of the 4 deck drain through hulls. Not quite sure what is going on or what should be done.

Thanks,
Vince

Attachments

• Thru Hull Starboard.jpg
    Thru Hull Starboard.jpg
    875.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Thru Hull Port.jpg
    Thru Hull Port.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 52

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That looks like "bleeding" from not having the thru hulls properly bedded (or perhaps they need rebedding). But I'm a bit more curious as to why the port side seems to be lower in the water than the starboard? Or is that just how you're leaning over the side to take the pics? Does the boat sit level normally? I'd expect the thru hulls to be above the water at rest.

Tinny

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yeah - it is just me leaning over to take the pic. Boat sits level and thru hulls above waterline - although I am surprised at the number of slightly older grady's in my marina whose drain thru hulls do not sit above the water line.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ah cool - that's good! Yeah, looks like crevice corrosion. There's great info on the need to bed fittings here: https://www.gemlux.com/faqs

re: Older gradys sitting low, they may have been repowered with a heavier 4-stroke motors... Some ballast in the bow would probably help, but most folks hate the idea of adding weight.

Reactions: RussGW270

seasick

Reaction score
If possible take a look at the back side of the fitting to see if there is excessive rust. You want to make sure the fitting is structurally sound. Other than removing and rebedding the fittings, there isn't a lot you can do other than clean up the stains and relax:)

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Yeah - it is just me leaning over to take the pic. Boat sits level and thru hulls above waterline - although I am surprised at the number of slightly older grady's in my marina whose drain thru hulls do not sit above the water line.
If their outboards and have been repowered the newer ob’s are a lot heavier that what was made 10-15 years back. That’ll contribute.

Fishtales

Reaction score
it also can be the SS thru hole. They will bleed a bit (very common on GWs). Have someone look at it. Probably nothing to worry about.