Rust from ladder on boat "pad" (non slip surface)

osubux1

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
I have a Freedom, and where the ladder folds up and over and rests in an inset in the boat, there is what I think is an applied sort of pad that is a scratchy surface. Almost like a no-slip type of surface. Where the ladder sits, has become dirty, showing sone residual rust, etc. Is there any way to replace that, or even clean it? I've had detailers try to clean it, but nothing works. Here's a picture of it.

Attachments

• Ladder Pad.JPEG
    Ladder Pad.JPEG
    458.8 KB · Views: 41

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Muriatic acid might clean it - but that pad is shot and will never get completely clean. Just replace it. You could use something as simple as black grip tape.

FYI, the rust actually is from the ladder sitting there for extended times without being slightly elevated (for air circulation). A couple nylon stand-offs might be a better solution.

Reactions: osubux1

osubux1

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
Thanks for to idea of scraping it off. I'm wondering though, with my limited set of tools and abilities, I assume I would need to have a detailer scrape it off? I'm not handy enough to know what to use to scrape it... and without doing some kind of damage.

Also, is there some standard grip tape or specific I can order by size out there? I don't want to just get a roll of that, and I cut it to size. I just know it won't turn out right.

moklodge

Reaction score
You'll need a heat gun to get that sucker off. There are a number of spray on rust removers that I've had great success with. I would first try spraying "Iron Out" rust removing spray. Starbrite Rust Stain Remover works well too. This may be too far gone but it's worth a try and the rest of the bottle will come in handy for other spots on the boat in the future. You'll have to apply it and rinse a number of times. Let it sit for 1/2 hour or more between rinses. Would be very interested in your results.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You'll need a heat gun to get that sucker off. There are a number of spray on rust removers that I've had great success with. I would first try spraying "Iron Out" rust removing spray. Starbrite Rust Stain Remover works well too. This may be too far gone but it's worth a try and the rest of the bottle will come in handy for other spots on the boat in the future. You'll have to apply it and rinse a number of times. Let it sit for 1/2 hour or more between rinses. Would be very interested in your results.
Rust Out is another version - I've used that on many things and it works very well. I prefer the powder so I can adjust the strength.

OSU, maybe it WOULD be worthwhile to try this stuff first - maybe it gets it "good enough" for you? But, a heat gun and plastic scraper/plastic razor blades will do the trick.

osubux1

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 307
Thanks all. And the heat gun and plastic scraper is a great idea. It reminds me of when I bought my Grady and needed to remove the old boat name. I used a hair dryer instead of a heat gun though. Again, not sure if I trust myself with something that could actually do some damage it not done well. :)

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Forget the rust remover. Hair dryer, paint scraper/putty knife. Clean remains with acetone or such.
Whatever you scratch will be hidden by the new pad... or get a detailer to do it and whatever they scratch will be hidden by the new one....
Measure what you got. Measure what you could fit if it was bigger. Find something that will cover.
West Marine has various "non-slip step pads". I've seen them in vinyl, EVA foam, rubbery sandpaper-like stick-on pads. Often marketed for boat trailer steps....

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 4.00.45 PM.png

Fishtales

Reaction score
I wouldn't be afraid to work it off. I'd use a heat gun and a strong putty knife. Just go slow with it. Once you set it off try a bunch of different things from goo gone, thinner, hull cleaner, bilge cleaner, gasoline and work up the ladder till you find something that will remove the excess adhesive. You won't hurt the gelcoat and remember, youre putting down a new pad.

eppem

Reaction score
We removed it from our 2013 Marlin that we bought used in 2020 and added a piece of Dekit instead -looks great

moklodge

Reaction score
If you're gonna put another pad/deck it pad there, I'd just leave the rusty pad and put the new pad over it. Why bother with all the effort to remove it then?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If you're gonna put another pad/deck it pad there, I'd just leave the rusty pad and put the new pad over it. Why bother with all the effort to remove it then?
There's a good chance that because it's been UV damaged over the years and also not a smooth/clean surface that a new pad won't stick well. It'll only take a few minutes to remove it.