rust on the ivory screws

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Hey Yall:
Was spring cleaning the boat today and I noticed at various locations there is a hint of rust outlining the heads of the ivory screws. While I like the look of the screws, it makes me wonder why Grady just doesn't stick to a high grade stainless screw? Are these painted screws stainless? Any tips on cutting down the corrosion on them? Thanks.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes, they are painted S/S and i have the same problem but only inside the console. I will call Grady next week, they will most likely send me new ones. I tried in the past to paint S/S screws with no success in ivory color. If you want them in white, white-out is your best friend.

seasick

Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady said:
Hey Yall:
Was spring cleaning the boat today and I noticed at various locations there is a hint of rust outlining the heads of the ivory screws. While I like the look of the screws, it makes me wonder why Grady just doesn't stick to a high grade stainless screw? Are these painted screws stainless? Any tips on cutting down the corrosion on them? Thanks.

If you get moisture but no air ( or very little air) stainless will rust. Only exposed stainless is really stainless.
The trick to keeping screws from rusting is to bed them in sealant or keep them dry.
What makes the painted screws even more prone to rust is the fact that the paint blocks the air, so when the paint gets 'porous' and moisture gets trapped, rust will occur. If the rust is coming from what appears to be under the screw head, the screws need to be bedded as mentioned.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Seasick, Would 4200 be the best sealant to use in this application?

seasick

Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady said:
You can use 4200 or 5200 ( I hear the yells already). When applied to small screw threads, 5200 isn't permanent and screws remove easily. So if you have 5200, you don't need to buy a new tube of 4200.
One trick to mention: Put your already used tubes of 4200 or 5200 in a freezer when not used. They don't freeze but will last a long time. I am up to a year and a half on mine and will see soon if I get to 2 years.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
seasick said:
SmokyMtnGrady said:
You can use 4200 or 5200 ( I hear the yells already). When applied to small screw threads, 5200 isn't permanent and screws remove easily. So if you have 5200, you don't need to buy a new tube of 4200.
One trick to mention: Put your already used tubes of 4200 or 5200 in a freezer when not used. They don't freeze but will last a long time. I am up to a year and a half on mine and will see soon if I get to 2 years.

I put mine in the garage refrigerator and i am on my third year and still going strong. I didn't know you can put them in the freezer.

seasick

Reaction score
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS said:
seasick said:
SmokyMtnGrady said:

I put mine in the garage refrigerator and i am on my third year and still going strong. I didn't know you can put them in the freezer.

Yup, freezer works well. Finding this trick out was a good thing since before this practice, every new season I would pick up that tube of 5200 of which I used only a small dab last year and find out that it had hardened. My second tip is to buy 5200 at Home Depot. It is priced well below my Marine stores.