Rust Stains

CatMar II

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I took the tarp off the boat and noticed I have rust marks around the swim ladder. I was wondering if anyone has a good way of removing or cleaning the stains.

Fishtales

Reaction score
magic eraser sqaures work good for small stains on gelcoat as well.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
ON/OFF, rinse with copious quantities of water and then wax ...

seasick

Reaction score
Anything with oxalic acid will work. I am not sure if the active ingredient in On-Off is oxalic acid but if folks say that works then try it.
Magic Erasers are more abrasive than most think and can easily wear through gelcoat. I only use them as a last resort.
Now for the 'bad' news. If you have rust running down from the swim platform where it connects to the hull ( screws, bolts, etc), that means that water is entering the screw holes. The best approach is to remove a bolt and see if there is a lot of moisture. Hopefully, the problem is local to the bolt holes only. The bolts or screws should be removed and reinstalled with plenty of sealant such as 4200. The goal is to make sure that moisture does not enter around the bolt. Note that even stainless hardware will rust if wet and NOT exposed to air.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
As everyone is suggesting, any acid will remove the rust stains from the gel coat. Flitz or just about any other metal polish will get the rust off of the stainless steel.

If you want to get ride of the problem, remove the stainless steel mounting hardware, shine it up, and re-bed it using 3M UV 4000.

Now here's how to keep the rust from coming back:

Put a thin layer of NO-OX-ID (https://illuminationsupply.com/misc...electrical-grade-conductive-grease-p-362.html) on the stainless parts before re-bedding. This stuff is simply amazing in the marine environment.

CatMar II

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks for all the input. I did remove all the hardware and everything was dry. The stains are not that bad. I am going to try the on/off and see if that works. I tried Starbite rust remover. I google searched and saw they had a video posted on youtube. the product did well in the video. Unfortunately I didn't have the same results.

jbeyo

Reaction score
I use a porduct callled Wink.
You will find it in the bath cleaning section of most grocery stores.
Just drip a little on the stain and let it sit for a few seconds and it is gone.
MAKE SURE YOU WEAR RUBBER PROTECTIVE GLOVES TO APPLY!
Last spring I used it for about an hour with out gloves just spreading it around with a rag and the next day my fingers felt like they had been slamed in a car door.
It was then that I read the warning on the back of the bottle.
Good luck.

freddy063

Reaction score
hey CATMARII how did the rust stain trouble clean up? I had some bad rust stains that didn't clean up with on off, but it did get 90% of it, had to use FSR for the last little bit.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just used some Goof Off Rust Stain Remover to remove rust from Starboard and fiberglass. It's got Oxalic and Hydrofluric acid in it which dissolve the rust. It is in gel form so it sits where you spray it better then the liquid which runs all over the place. Also, since is doesn't have "Marine" in its name, it's half the price of the marine equipment. I've seen it for $8/gal.

http://www.amazon.com/Goof-Off-PSX2004- ... in+remover

dpcarson

Reaction score
Hydroflouric or phosphoric acid both in paint section at Home Depot or lowes. Wipe on, let sit, rinse off, re wax