S.C. trailer trouble in VA DMV

mac83

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I just purchased a boat/trailer from S.C (Pics will be up soon). I've got the title for the boat but was told in S.C. they do not issue titles for their trailers. I went to VA DMV to see what was needed from me to get the process started for me to title and register the trailer. They tell me that I need to get the title from the person that I bought the trailer from. He is telling me that he dosn't have a title. What can I do, Has anyone has any similar circumstance before? Thanks everyone.

striped bass

Reaction score
I also purchased a GW with a trailer from S.C. Your seller is correct that S.C. doesn't title trailers. A valid bill of sale (possibly notarized) was sufficient for me to get the trailer registered in CT. Be sure to get the trailer VIN on the bill of sale as well. If your seller has his original bill of sale that would be helpful as well.

Fishtales

Reaction score
If possible contact the manufacturer. When I bought a utility trailer the manufacturer provided a statement with their name on it and included the model and serial number. I was able to title it with this paperwork - if i recall, there was a title form (here in MA anyway). Let us know how you make out.

duconce

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As mentioned some states issue titles on trailers some do not, DMV has a list of what each state does, did they look it up? If title is not issued then bill of sale is all that is necessary.

grady23

Reaction score
Did you get a "certificate of origin" with the trailer. That's the one item that almost any jurisdiction will accept as proof of ownership.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
When we moved from Fla to NC, we had this same problem. Our DMV would not issue a tag without not only a certificate of orgin, but also the original bill of sale. I have a multisport type kayak trailer. I bought it like 10 years ago and we just moved to NC at about the same our Fla tags expired. I could not find the bill of sale nor the certificate of orgin. Here in NC we pay personal property tax too and by gosh that bill of sale had to be there so they could tax me on trailer I bought a decade ago in Fla which I already paid sales tax on!!!

Funny thing is in Fla they title boats, but not trailers and here in NC they don't tirle boats unless the owner just wants too. But, they title any and every trailer....good luck to you...

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Same issue here a few yrs ago, what I did, purchased a utility trailer kit form harbor freight, 299.00 for title service to create a title it is about $500.00 filled out a form for home made trailer at the dmv, had to include the reciept.

Got a title, and registration, put the plate on the boat trailer, returned the trailer kit to harbor freight got my 299.99 back +tax.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb-ca ... 90154.html

now my trailer had 2 axles, reg said 1, cops wouldnt evenm notice anyway but if I wanted to sell it then it needs to be right. So I baught some wheel barrow tires form a the local lowes and a small steel rod, used that receipt to make and upgrade when I renewed the registration, returned those items now reg says 2 axle trl util.

Done.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Trailers here in SC do not have titles nor are they required to have a license plate, except for large construction equipment trailers and semi trailers.
You should be able to get a MCO (manufacturer's certificate of origin) from the trailer manufacturer. Then you need a bill of sale and you should be good to go. SC requires a title for the boat and a separate one for the motor if it is an outboard. Go figure.

mac83

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Well the problem is... The trailer is a Shoreline (not in business anymore I believe), can't find a VIN please/sticker anywhere on the trailer. I do have a bill of sale that I made up when I made the sale but I did not write a VIN on it for the trailer because I can't find one. Do you think this will stop me from getting a title/registration at DMV. If it does I was going to go the homemade trailer route. :bang

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ask for a supervisor at VA DMV, all they require from any other state is what the other state defines as proof of sale/transfer to new owner documents. Those documents are defined by the state who it was sold in and tagged - which you should have become knowledgable in when buying from out of state, so you will know what to collect in paperwork.

Be it paper title or registration or a plastic hand written card, or whatever.

If you call the appropriate state office of sale to find out what those dcouments are and with the VIN number off the trailer, they will look it up while you wait on the phone and tell you everything about the trailer yio bought, ie. current owner, etc. they know, just be nice and say you are calling from out of state.

Good luck.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That's his problem...their is no info at SC DMV because they do not title or tag boat trailers and he can't find the serial number on the trailer itself.
I think a trip to the VA MVA is order to speak with a supervisor to see what can be done.

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
mac83 said:
Well the problem is... The trailer is a Shoreline (not in business anymore I believe), can't find a VIN please/sticker anywhere on the trailer. I do have a bill of sale that I made up when I made the sale but I did not write a VIN on it for the trailer because I can't find one. Do you think this will stop me from getting a title/registration at DMV. If it does I was going to go the homemade trailer route. :bang

What about an old registration frm the other state? They should take that as title with the bill of sale as long as it has the prev owners name on it. But, If your DMV is as tough as NJ, dont waste your time. I went to 3 DMV's and supervisors in my state with the bill of sale, no go every time. They wanted a cert of orgin or title or some crap. I called a title service, quoted me $800.00. BS.

Here is another thing you can do, buy a real crappy boat or utl trailer in real bad condition, maybe 100 or under$ one you in your state and can register. Remove the data plate with ser # cut it up and Junk it, u might get money back as scrap metal. Remove the ser plate from yours replace with scrap trailer plate. Done. Again if it is a difference of axles just file a modification form on your next registration you may have to take a picture to submit it, u wont have any problems selling it in the future.

timberxx

Reaction score
I also bought a boat from SC, and brought it home to VA. I was fortunate, and the seller had the original bill of sale, which worked for the DMV.

I was not so lucky titling my ATV. The DMV has an affidavit that you send Richmond, they review your case, and accept it based on your conditions. This is what I did with my ATV and it worked, good luck to you.