Safety Equpment on sale

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Jim Maier at BOE Marine is a great guy to deal with.

I have purchased several electronics items, and a Revere Coastal Commander liferaft from him.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am strongly considering purchasing a liferaft from them. They have an excellent 'package deal' if you purchase a liferaft and an EPIRB at the same time. I purchased an EPIRB last year so I do not need a second one. However, if someone else only needs an EPIRB please send me a private message and maybe we can both save some money. I will probably make my purchase within a day or two.

lgusto

Reaction score
Based on the many, many recommendations on this site I'm thinking of getting an EPIRB or personal locator. I sometimes fish ledges 20-30 miles or so offshore. I'm often (but not always) near other boats and the ledges are near (but not in) shipping channels. My boat is a single engine and I rarely have any buddy boats to go with. I don't venture offshore without an improving weather forecast for the 24 hours following launch time. This is Maine and the water temperature is in the 60's at the height of summer.

So, a few questions for the panel:

1. How do you guys manage your EPIRBS? Do you carry them home, lock them in the cabin, etc.? How do you keep them charged? Even though this is Maine the thought of leaving a $1,000 item topsides in plain sight is worrisome.

2. I've read that the hydrostatic releases are a bad idea on boats that don't sink. Thoughts?

3. I've read that the personal locators have to be held up off the surface to be effective. True?

4. How do you connect an EPRIB without internal GPS to your boat's GPS? I have a Raymarine C80.

5. Finally, given where I fish and its proximity to other boats would a prudent captain carry an EPIRB? I have a Standard Horizon VHF with GPS, hard top mounted antennas, a hand held backup VHF with spare batteries, etc.

Thanks to all, looking forward to another excellent season.

Larry

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
LGusto,

1. I have one hardtop mounted Epirb with hydrostatic release and internal GPS. If the boat goes down slowly I can get to it manually and turn it on....If it goes down quickly it will likely roll over and the hydrostatic release will do it's job. I also carry a personal Epirb with GPS in my ditch bag - Which is always topside when I'm out on the water. Epirbs have internal batteries and do not need to be charged. Batteries usually need to be replaced every three years. If you lock it in the cabin you should be alright.

2. The choice of hydrostatic release is a good question. I have two Epirbs so I have the Hydro on the hardtop. As I said above...If the boat rolls it will likely release.

3. Never had to use a PLB but that makes sense

4. I would guess with a Nema cable....But I don't think that is a good idea as your GPS may be disabled in an emergency before you can activate an Epirb. I'd get one with an internal GPS and connect your VHF to your plotter so you can use DSC (Which you should have) to broadcast your coordinates through your VHF if you have time/range.

5. If you go out of the bay you should carry an Epirb - It'll be the best money you ever wasted if you never use it.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There is no use removing the EPIRB from the boat unless you're done for the season or it might freeze. EPIRBs are registered to a specific boat, where PLB's are registered to a user.

A non GPS PLB will still tell the authorities you're in trouble and give them an idea where you are. I don't know what the accuracy is of the non-GPS but even if the CG knows which square mile you are in it's a GREAT help. Our boats should not go completely down so there should be a big object for someone to see from ship or above.

lgusto

Reaction score
Looking further into the autorelease feature....one of the ACRs on BOE's site states:

"Automatically deploys when water depth is approximately 13 ft (4 m) and begins transmitting."

That would really suck....sitting on your upturned hull unable to release the EPIRB. Or, it does release and gets caught under the boat. On the other hand, if you're not near your manual EPIRB it's not going to get released either.

Is there something that begins transmitting if it gets wet?

Sorry for all the questions - I kind of like to know exactly what happens if this is my last shot at rescue.