Sailfish 25 Trim Tabs

Clockwork

Reaction score
What size trim tabs are you guys running on the old sailfish 25? I have 18x11 and they seem like too much because i get a fair amount of bowsteer in a following sea even with tabs all the way up. I was thinking about trimming them down a couple inches. Input?

GW 255

Reaction score
I have the exact same hull and year. what engine set up are you running and how do you usually trim the engine(s). I have had to play with my set up as well in order to remedy the bow steer issue.

GW 255

Reaction score
when you are at cruise speed do you trim the motors up at all or leave them fully trimmed down? what i have found that works best for my set up which is slightly different as i have a single 300hp E-Tec. I fully retract the tabs once i'm on a plane and then slowly trim the engine up until the bow feels like it wants to porpoise. Once i get to that point i trim down a little and the boat seems to really like that. Two things that caused me a little problem were the prop i had was intended for lifting the stern (not helpful) and when in a following sea the engine trim position. i found that trimming the engine up a little more past optimal cruise position helps a fair amount with the boats desire to want to bow steer in a following sea. Also what fuel tank do you generally pull from and do you keep your water tank full?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Clock, GW asked how you trim the engines, but you didn't mention that in the reply. I would agree with GW - it sounds like you're probably keeping the engine trimmed down too far. In a following sea, you need to trim up - and often times, when coming down the front side of the wave, also back off the throttle some. I wouldn't mess with the tabs - I don't think that's you're problem - you probably just need to change how you operate the boat for different conditions.