Sailfish 272 Head issues

Just Dandy

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a 2000 Sailfish 272 the head will pump in water but won’t suck it out of the bowl. I want to say it’s in the pump out control but I don’t want to replace it unless it’s it for sure you can’t just buy the control you have to buy the entire kit. I appreciate any information possible.

Thanks!!

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I remember the whole kit being about $90. Well worth it if you consider some of the other potential outcomes LOL.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If it is a vacu-flush type head, it is a lot more complicated than just a control. There are much more likely issues such as the vacuum pump and duckbill valves. The electronics are pretty reliable.

seasick

Reaction score
Depending on the type of head, the troubleshooting will be different. Assuming is is not a vacuflush and is electric, the simplest thing to check is the waste line to make sure it isn't clogged. That is easy to do but can be messy and stinky. Basically remove the waste line at the bowl and flush it with water from a hose. I am assuming that you hear the pump running and the water in the bowl doesn't seem to go down as opposed to it goes down but quickly refills.
If the waste line is clear , you might need to replace the duckbill (joker valve) valve , a common wear point. Symptoms of a bad duckbill are often that the bowl starts to drain but then backfills with water.You can take the valve out and look at the end that closes. It should be closed normally. Since that job can also be messy, even if the valve looks OK, replace it if you don't know when it was last if ever replaced. The part is inexpensive.
If the head has a built-in macerator pump, that may be clogged or the impeller may be worn out. That is a much bigger job and may require the removal of the bowl to get to the pump.

Last edited:

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Just had the same issue with my Groco HF series manual pump. I ended up purchasing a whole new head, same model as it is a compact series and didn't want to fool with refit.
Tested in the water, all good and pumped water.
First time use, paper totally clogged up in the bronze pipe, before it even went to the pump. Had to dis-assemble and dig out the paper with a screwdriver best I could reach at the angle. Then had to flush out with pressure nozzle on water hose.
Nope, it was just paper thank goodness! Glad I did a test first.

Now, I am perplexed, why did it clog so easily. Thinking my paper was old and does not dissolve as well as it used to? Does that happen?

Anyhow, I just picked up some new Scott RV rapid dissolving paper and will see how it goes next test!

seasick

Reaction score
Was the original paper specifically made for marine applications?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yes, sorry, forgot to mention. I got it from West Marine for the head specifically. I bet it is over 8 years old by now.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It is probably the Macerator - on 2004 Sailfish there is one at the electric head and one on the pumpout inside the holding tank. Also if your holding tank is full the bowl will not empty. Can you hear the electronic flush when you turn it on?

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
One
It is probably the Macerator - on 2004 Sailfish there is one at the electric head and one on the pumpout inside the holding tank. Also if your holding tank is full the bowl will not empty. Can you hear the electronic flush when you turn it on?
One other possibility if the electric flush is not functioning it could be a blown fuse, Mine kept blowing once and when I took the pump off there was a quarter stuck in the macerator blades. Easy fix and no more issues - good luck

seasick

Reaction score
One

One other possibility if the electric flush is not functioning it could be a blown fuse, Mine kept blowing once and when I took the pump off there was a quarter stuck in the macerator blades. Easy fix and no more issues - good luck
I guess one of your passengers thought the head was a wishing well.

Reactions: Legend

seasick

Reaction score
I just watched a Jabsco video on backflow problems and realized that I omitted one other possible cause of backflow and that is a blocked vent.
My bad...
For anyone interested here is a link to the video.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Seems like the macerator needs to be run every so often. Mine was seized this year as well. However, it's pretty quick and easy to pop the cover and break it free. Mine works again just fine after that.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
groco tlm is the control.
But what type of head system is it? There's a number of different styles and we can't really base recommendations based on what would have been standard since the boat is now 20+ years old and changes could have been made. Regardless, the type of head system is the important part.