Sailfish 282 Electronics Upgrade

capeguy

Reaction score
I have an '06 Sailfish 282 and am replacing the original Raymarine package. Have decided to go with Simrad NSSEVO2 12" display, 4G radar and RS 35 VHF. Will be installing a panel over the electronics box and flush mounting the display and radio.

CHIRP Sonar will require a new XDCR, I am considering either a B75 or B175 thru hull which is a cylindrical shape and has a 20 deg tilted element. Not sure if I will add the Structure scan transom mount XDCR or not, maybe add it later. Any thoughts or experience? The display can do both internally, but can't show the regular sonar and structure simultaneously (can only drive one XDCR at a time), need an external module to have both together. Anyone use it and have an opinion? Is seeing both at same time important?

Question: I have a thru hull in place already that is mounted on the XDCR flat and has a fairing block. It is the sort of torpedo shape. Can I leave this in place and mount the new one just forward of it? Other wise I will need to patch a hole in the bottom...

Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. I am not going to do the hull work myself, or the panel. But maybe the wiring runs, etc...

Thanks in advance for any input...

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Why not remove it and use same hole ? Also, there may be an adaptor to use your existing ducer with Simrad...

1998sailfish

Reaction score
The flat area formed into the Grady hull is NOT a correct installation location for Transducers with a fairing ( Ask Airmar).

I use a b175M 20 degree xducer with twin 9" Evo2 units and a transom mounted side scan. I you do choose a xducer with a fairing block or any other thru hull, it should be mounted forward of the existing transducer. Leave the old one in place.

capeguy

Reaction score
Exactly what I did. Mounted new 20' tilted element thru hull just forward and slightly outboard of old one, which I left in place. Almost done with new install.

Dlg4354

Reaction score
I'm also about to install a b175 tilted element in my 2002 282 sailfish. Can it be mounted just inboard of the transducer flat? If it must go in front, how do you gain access? Pull the deck up? Going from the bilge there is a bulkhead just forward of the transducer flat.
Thanks.

amf282

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
We did a total upgrade when we purchased our 2007 282. We went with Garmin 7610's, Garmin GMR 18 xHD radar, Simrad AP24 autopilot. We used the GT51M-TH transducer for chirp/down view and side view. Our installer was excellent and was very meticulous with the setup. In order for the side view to work correctly, we mounted the transducer in the center on the bottom of the hull. I do not have all the details, but it sits about an 1" below the bottom of the hull several feet up from the rear of the boat (very close to the same location as the through hull flats). We did this because the putting the transducer to one side creates issues for the side vu and you then need to buy a pair of transducers, one for each side and program using the pair. Our set up works great and we actually did not program an offset as we truly know how far from the bottom of the hull is to the bottom of the ocean, creek, ICW. I know there would be some concern about hitting the transducer in this location, but no issues with the trailer or lift at this point.

The new garmin touchscreens are absolutely awesome and allow you to control many things like a fusion radio or the new Virb camera which we mounted to capture the action from the cockpit. We were also fortunate that we could hook-up our engine data to the instruments from our Yamaha 250's. There was a small window when Yamaha worked on the network and we happen to fall within that window. below is a picture of our helm.

Attachments

• boat helm2.JPG
    boat helm2.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 2,224