Sailfish 282 with Jabsco Holding Tank Macerator

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 2006 with the holding tank that has a Jabsco 18590 mounted on the top of it. It is jammed up and not sure if it has ever had a service kit done. I was going to jump right in and disconnect it an unscrew it from the tank and then in my old age said wait a minute let me clarify a few things. First I could not find any manual on removing the pump from the tank but I think the nuts that hold it must be molded into the tank. Before undoing that is there anything to know there? Do not want the nuts falling into the tank if they are not molded into it. Anyone had to do this and can offer some advice? Word of wisdom? And of course I expect the it sucks to be you comments.

HBSteve

Reaction score
We have an 05 Sailfish. When we bought the boat, the submersible macerator pump didn't work. It probably would have been smarter to redesign it and build an external pump but I went for a straight replacement instead. Figured it was easier that way. After removing the air conditioner, it's just a matter of removing the bolts holding the pump to the top of the tank. Nothing drops into the tank. I removed the old jabsco pump, cleaned the tank then bolted in the new pump. It was a day job but I took my time. The biggest issue was the access and body contortions. The mechanical aspect was pretty straight forward.

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Better to be safe than sorry. Thank you for confirming what I had thought. Luckily I do not have an Air Conditioner so access is pretty easy for me. One panel at the aft berth and it is right there.

capeguy

Reaction score
Careful handling that panel. It is very thin, and around the screw holes it can break very easily. Found out the hard way. I have an 06 with the electric jabsco pump mounted right next to the bowl. I replaced that unit, very simple job and it works well. My problem is the tank level indicator is always showing full, haven't bothered with it yet..

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I know what you mean about the panel. On mine the screw holes are have the outside part missing. Still holds it but may need to make a starboard trim some day to make it look better. The macerator that is jammed for me is the overboard discharge. The head still seems to be working fine. I suspect someone did not follow directions. I need to put them in the head on the wall and everywhere. Would love to see some examples if anyone has some. Bet there are some creative ones out there.

Have had the boat 3 years without and issue. So i think I will find something wrapped up in it. Wipe or feminine product. I have a service kit and a new one. My tank indicator does work well.

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Here is an update on this. Definitely a weird one and took some time to solve. Thought I should share so the next person finds the problem sooner. The issue end up being a simple fuse. But the catch is the panel was labeled wrong from the factory. To further compound the problem the correct fuses were in the panel. So note to all do not trust the labels and check every fuse before tearing things apart.