sailfish 87 windows

cditch

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with changing the windows on a sailfish 87 . I am having issues with water leaking into the cabin and I am looking for some feedback on this to see how big of a job this is. And if I will be able to do this on my own. Thanks

JeffN

Reaction score
If you are talking about the cabin windows, not the windshield, been there done that. I have replaced the plexi in my front non opening cabin windows. Removed the side windows, replaced the "kitty whiskers" that the windows slide in, cleaned up the windows and frames and reinstalled them. I installed new rubber weather seal all around also. What are your concerns? Mine is an '83 I think the windows are similar.

Reaction score
My experience entailed calling grady for the needed info....they directed me to an individual (unrelated to grady) that had the original window parts needed (gaskets and other rubber items). I was able to contact him and pick his brain. I bought what I needed and had a boat builder in my town install everything.
I'm not sure what your window situation is....do you like these kind of projects...? I don't. Make sure water is not getting into the fiberglass or other vital areas. I had to have my entire top deck replaced around the walk-around that may have been a result of water intrusion thru the windows......Good luck....

runeme

Reaction score
One Word: CAULK. I restored a 94 sailfish last year, the windows leaked terribly. I did several searches for help and found all kinds of posts about replacement of the seals, removing the windows, ect. Don't waste your time. The windows were originally sealed by caulk between the aluminum frame and the fiberglass. I took a razor blade and cut out what was left of the old caulk and re-applied using a marine grade 100% silicone caulk. The caulk breaks down over time and releases from the aluminum. All you need to do is re-caulk. I have not had a drop of water come through since. Good luck.