Sailfish Autopilot Component Locations

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am looking at adding a Raymarine Autopilot to my 282 Sailfish. The logical and easiest place to locate the steering pump and ACU would be in the hatch in the mid berth right below the helm. It would be dry and has good amount of room. I would probably put the ACU in this location too. Also easier to run the extra hose back to the helm. I have seen some others install the pump for other systems in that location. Reading the documentation it says to locate the pump closest to the steering ram as possible and of course the rear bilge would be the closer location. Was wondering where others have theirs installed and if the length of hose is an issue.

TortugaBob

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
There is a similar post for a Marlin on here. I replied to that. Your Sailfish probably has the same amount of space under helm as Marlin where I ended up mounting to shorten the hydraulic hoses that came in a kit. Mounted the Controller under there too. Of course, it is exposed a little more vs. mounting inside or behind the bulkhead. I can send more pics.

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was thinking of installing it below deck in the access hatch starboard under the helm. Easy access to bring hydraulic lines down and up. Only concern I had was how far away it would be from the cylinder. If you have additional pics of your install that would be great.

TortugaBob

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Auto1.jpgAuto2.jpg20200301_132246.jpg

As noted in the other post in General, I had a SS Bracket made at a sheet metal shop and mounted on the bulkhead under the helm. Used a Hose Kit, think they are fairly short 24-30", worked well. Yes, it is exposed a little more to air, but still under the helm and T-Top. Mounted the Controller on the other side of the Fuse Box. These pics were prior to hoses being hooked up, can send those on the weekend if needed.

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was looking at it today and thinking no way the tee fitting will have room on the back of the helm. I will have to wait til they come in to test fit it. I never even considered mounting it there but you are right the room is there for it.

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
So I got the autopilot today and the control head locations are slim. I could get a nav pod and possible get some additional locations. Only place left with enough room is the flat area below the switches. I have seen others mount them flat like this mainly on sailboats so it must be ok water ingress wise.

First location and where I am leaning is right above the throttles. Only issue here may be hitting throttles in bumpy weather.
20230428_221528.jpg
20230428_221538.jpg
20230428_221541.jpg

Second place is next to throttles but now going closer to compass. So not recommended.
20230428_221553.jpg

Last thought was pop out this cup holder and replace it. Can always add another one later next to it. It fits in the hole perfectly as is.
20230428_221733.jpg
20230428_221741.jpg
So thoughts on those ideas or other brilliant ones.

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Here is the final resting place have to take some Yammie control hub and other wires out of the way to drill and cut the hole. Once installed everything could go back to original locations. Bought tee fittings off the back of helm pump and they clear just perfectly. Reused right angle fo the return line and bought all premade hoses instead of that crappy plastic one they sent in the kit. 40 miles off shore I did not want it to be my crappy fitting that caused an issue. Located the ACU on the wall in the mid berth and the pump on the nice sturdy 3/4 plywood shelf behind the mid berth starboard panel. Everything bled and working so far with no leaks. Now on the water calibration is last step. Thanks for all the help.20230506_095438.jpg