Sailfish Fresh Water Tank...

SilverLining

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Does anyone know where the vent line attaches to the water tank on a 2000 272 Sailfish??? Know that the filler cap is vented as in the fuel system cap but cannot determine where the vent line enters the tank. When filling the tank with a hose, there is a substantial spray of water being forced out the top of the tank when the tank is full. The spray stops when the hose is removed from the fill. Am thinking that the vent line goes into the top of the tank and has come loose. Will have to remove the batteries to access the tank.

Any thoughts????

Have checked with GW tech service but they have no drawings/recollections which describes the location of the vent port in the tank.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Could be wrong but the water tank is pressurized so I'm not sure it has one.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The vent capacity is little, makes sense the water overboards the fill, same goes for gas tanks.

The vent connection is likely near or at similar level as fill port connection to take, fill hose is likely 1.5 inch, vent perhaps 5/8 inch.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Silverlining, I think my 252 is same layout as yours in regards to the helm area.

My water fill is on the floor at the helm, just right of the wheel. The panel under the helm, but to the right is removable and is the access for the wiring running from under the deck up to the topside area and under the helm area.

When removing this panel a few times to access wiring and run new wires, I found a vent hose attached to this panel. I am pretty sure this was the water tank vent. Mine was bending at a 90 degree angle and had softened over the years, crimping off the breathability. I cut off a couple inches and then reattached, but put some heavy clear vinyl tubing over the bend to keep it from crimping again.

To remove this panel, there is a piece of trim and 2 or 3 screws at the bottom. Remove the trim and screws, cut the caulk where the panel is attached to the floor and the panel will pull out easily. You should be able to see the vent thru hull fitting under the helm on this panel up high before you remove the panel to confirm where I am talking about.

I don't think the tank itself is pressurized. I think that from the pump outlet to the faucets is where pressure is held only.

I know my water fills much easier and less back pressure now that I had opened up that hose bend.

I will be down to the boat this weekend and can take a pic if you need one and can't place where I am talking about. Just have to remember to do this.

SilverLining

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks RobertH....the 2000 272 Sailfish has the water tank about as far aft in the boat as you can get. It is located aft and below the bank of three batteries and is accessed through the aft transom bench seat. I can see portions of the tank easily, just can't see where the fill and vent enter the tank. The water fill is located on the transom inside the cockpit on the port side.

You are right, the tank is not pressurized.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Oh yeah forgot to pay attention to your model year. Good luck in the search.