Sailfish fridge

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
I 've never been able to find an on/off switch on the fridge on my Sailfish. I spoke with Danny at GW customer service and he said that it should come on when the batteries are on. My question is are they "straight wired to the batteries ,or to an accessory swith on the switch panel (rocker switch on dash) The boats an 01' 282 SAILFISH. Thanks "RAINNMAKER"

ahill

Reaction score
Open the fridge door. There is a rotary switch on the back panel that is on/off plus temp control.

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
Danny told me about that dial/knob but I dont remember it in the fridge . I'll check that as soon as I'm on the boat again.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The owners manual on the Grady website will have the wring schematics.

Every fridge has a thermostat. Likely rotary dial type.

All the way at the low end, is OFF.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The frig is on all of the time unless you manually shut it off by turning the rotary switch mentioned earlier. If you are anchored or fishing with engines off for a long time it can run your battteries down. As long as you leave the door shut it stay cold for a long time after you shut it off.

Shockwave61

Reaction score
Refridge

I had the dealer wire my fridge on my 265 express to the spare acc switch on the panel near the helm. This works well for me, since I am able to keep the fridge on while underway to my fishing spots. Once I reach my spot and shut the engines off, I can easily shut the refridge off from the switch without having to go down into the cabin. I keep the switch on while underway or when I am on shore power.

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
Re: Refridge

Shockwave61 said:
I had the dealer wire my fridge on my 265 express to the spare acc switch on the panel near the helm. This works well for me, since I am able to keep the fridge on while underway to my fishing spots. Once I reach my spot and shut the engines off, I can easily shut the refridge off from the switch without having to go down into the cabin. I keep the switch on while underway or when I am on shore power.

I like this set-up. I'm going to set ours up like this I believe. This makes the most sense to me as I like the ability to turn off systems/components when not in use.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
How long do you guys fish for that you feel the need to turn the fridge off?
I leave my fridge on all of the time - every day - all summer long-
The boat sits on shore power when at the dock - and I just leave it on when fishing, even shark fishing were you drift all day!
It is my experience that the fridge will not kill the house battery system (2 batteries in parrallel) until after 48 hours.
When that happens I just switch to the third battery and start both motors (I do carry an isolated fourth as a spare)
Tim

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I bet the fridge only pulls about 4 or 5 amps 12VDC when the compressor runs for the short intervals it does, I don't see a problem keeping it on batts all the time when at sea. I do mine.

If the compressor runs all the time, best to get it checked out. I presume frig is in the cabin, not on deck in the sun.

Also, when you do shut it off until next time, better prop door open and dry it out. I use scott towels to wipe out moisture - in 15 minutes after OFF, the ice coating melts off the evaporator.

Reactions: 042869a

Shockwave61

Reaction score
refridge

I fish the southern coast of Maine. Sometimes I have the engines off, but my fishfinder, chartplotter, radar (on foggy days) and livewell going all day. If I have all this equipment on, I usually shut the refridge off. As mentioned above, it still stays pretty cold all day if I am not opening and closing it all the time. I wired the refridge to the acc switch for convenience. It is a pain to pull stuff out of the refridge and get to the dial in the back.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have replaced my fridge on my 265 and it has a rotory knob next to the freezer door; however when I had my breaker panel installed (behind the helm)12 months ago I had the fridge wired in there so that i can ensure it is off and I have the safety of the breaker.

I am in the tropics and because of the heat, the fridge works hard to keep things cool.

I have 150 amps of deep cycle house batteries and it has never flattened either , but I like the ability to control everything separately.