Sailfish Fuel Tanks

GTOMAN

Reaction score
Can the fuel tanks on a 1997 Sailfish be replaced via the deck access without having to do any cutting to remove the old and install the new tanks? On the top side of my tanks, I have no visual corrosion, but isn't the bottom side where corrosion first occurs? At 13 years old, am I living on borrowed time? Other than rinsing off the top side of the tanks, is there any other preventive maintenance I should do? Am I taking undue risk by waiting for the leak to first occur? I keep the boat on bunks in a marina yard, with the plug out, so there would not be a large accumulation of fuel in the bilge if a leak developed while it was sitting in the yard. Is there an explosion risk if a leak started while the boat was under power?

peter devine

Reaction score
I also have a 1997 sailfish and my tanks are in fantastic shape. Have to be vigilant about keeping deck plates and seals clean. There should be no water on top of tank. if so the deck plate needs fixin. I also think the tank is up high enough from the bottom so it will stay dry. If I repower in the next couple years i would then replace all tanks and lines.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Did you see the neoprene strips, 1 inch wide by 1/8 inch thick, on the top under the cross braces?

If so, did you look under any?

sluggoe

Reaction score
curious if you guys wash your fuel tanks 2 or 3 times a season by lightly squirting fresh water on top of the tanks via the deck plates;

manual says to do that and dealer said it is good idea to remove salt crystals and other dirt on the tanks....

--slugg.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Have a 2000 sailfish and have done this a few times a year. Every year or two, I take the deck plate off and was the tanks down with soak and let them dry.

Mine seem to be in good shape.

GTOMAN

Reaction score
It sounds like I need to clean mine more often. I have only done it once in 3 years. I will look under the neoprene strips next time I am down at the marina. Thanks for your help guys.