Sailfish Head

fellinger

Reaction score
Does anyone know what is involved in rebuilding the Groco manual flush head that is in my 1995 272 Sailfish? It doesn't seem to draw in seawater.

eppem

Reaction score
When the manual head on our 2003 265 "crapped" out we just replaced the whole unit. Wasn't much more expensive that the replacement parts for the pump and super easy to install.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Groco here in Maryland. Should be able to get anything you need. I'd use the fresh water faucet if I were you. If you would have seen my macerator you'd know why and 400-clams later...

HBSteve

Reaction score
I second what Tucker said. Use the head faucet to put water in the bowl for flushing. All but eliminates the dead saltwater organisms smell and prolongs the life of the in-tank macerator. That being said, I replaced the pump mechanism last summer. Pretty easy job but seeing that a whole new toilet was a few bucks more, I should have just done that....would have actually been an easier instal.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If a women is involved, the best way to do this is the electric freshwater conversion. I think it's about $400 with the solenoid and the queen simply pushes a button, not churn butter. Fairly large job but once it's done it's done. And...you cycle the water in FW tank which is a good thing.

fellinger

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. It doesn't get used that often for me to justify doing an electric conversion. I see there is an upgrade kit from the older model manual flushes. I wonder how that increases the life of the pump innards. My pump wasn't running. Over the winter I removed it and 'unfroze' it and it did work but, has since stopped. I get free pumpouts so, I will likely leave it as is.

For those that rebuilt the manual pump how difficult was it?

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Don't think it's a DYI project. Mine had severe corrosion and some internals were bad. Infrequent use...to me anyways...means a spackle bucket is the answer.

freddy063

Reaction score
they make kits, i did mine a few years ago and it' s not that bad , kit haves everything you need.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had to rebuild mine back when I purchased the boat a little over 4 years ago. Not a hard job and didn't think it was anything anyone can't do.

One thing to try is this: Spray some WD40 down the shaft where you pump to bring in water or push it out. Mine was somewhat seized up last year, and it resolved the issue. Also, put some mineral oil in the bowl and flush it which will help to lubricate the inside parts. This made a huge difference in mine, now it is very easy to pump and flush.

I have since learned that using mineral oil regularly is highly recommended. 2 oz every now and then is all it takes. Worth a try before you try to rebuild.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Robert, lubing the pump shaft is a given, but mineral oil in the bowl has me scratching my head. What moving parts does it lubricate?

fellinger

Reaction score
Tucker said:
Robert, lubing the pump shaft is a given, but mineral oil in the bowl has me scratching my head. What moving parts does it lubricate?

It likely keeps the macerator pump somewhat lubricated. I would think anyway.