Sailfish Helm Area Upgrades?

fellinger

Reaction score
I have a 1995 272 Sailfish and I can't stand the wasted space in the helm to side of each seat. Has anyone done anything unique with this area? I was thinking of taking the boat to a fairly local Starboard fabricator this coming offseason and have him remove the shelf/trim and enclose the whole thing in, adding a nicer speaker box cutout, shelf with storage/can holders, etc. I'd be interested if you have done this or have ideas that you've thought of.

Fishtales

Reaction score
You can certainly do something with the space but it isn't all that large. Once a cabinet maker gets involved the price really takes off, so suggest you investigate doing it yourself. Just remember starboard is not structural, so don't build something that you want to put a lot of weight (in/on).

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Test a speaker in the area you are talking about and see if it interfer's with your compass. I found I couldn't mount speakers anywhere in the helm area without impacting the compass on my Sailfish.
I put 2 trash cans in the sides, and my water fill is in the starboard side anyway, so need the access for it .