Sailfish Hull Differences

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gents,
Actively in the market for a Sailfish 1998 - 2000. The '98 & '99 models I've looked at have 200 & 225 OX66 motors; mostly 225's. I'm looking at (2) 2000 models that both have 250 OX66 motors. I thought the hulls were identical on '99 - last year of mfgr (04?). The differences being in windows and some styling changes. Was there a change in the max HP in 2000? Was there a change in the hull in 2000 to accept the 4-strokes. At about 30 MPH cruising speed fuel burn on the 250's appears to be worse than 225, which surprises me. Thanks Guys!

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
An edit here. I thought the hulls were identical 1998 thru last year of mfgr. Also is the 250 basically same as the 225 exception being different computer maping and larger injectors? Thanks.

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
When the boat was changed from a 272 to a 282 in 2000 or 2001 the running surface was extended all the way to the back. cabin re-design and a few other things. My 01 282 has 200HPDIs on it cruises at 24 to 26 knots at 3900 to 4000 rpms depending on sea conditions. Typical fuel burn at that range is 17.5 to 18.5 gph combined. Three weeks ago ran 149 nm , combined trolling and running. we left dock at 7 am returned 10pm used 116 gallons. Conditions pretty snotty for that trip. Also tanks were changed then to help with weight distribution. I think tankage went down 20 gallons , due to fuel effeciency of Hpdis and four strokes. hope this helps.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Both the 225 and 250 OX66s used the same 3130 cc block. You usually only see better mid range fuel economy with the extra hp if you can turn a higher pitched prop. Otherwise the richer fueling map would be expected to show a decrease in economy.

I don't know the answers to your other questions.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Doc does a higher pitched prop still allow the motor to turn it's max RPM, 5000-5500? If so gotta wonder why the dealer doesn't install those is in the first place. The 250's are burning 20-23 gph at 30-mph (so I'm told). I believe the 225's are about 18-20. Does that sound right?

Grady282owner

Reaction score
I have an '06 with twin Yami four strokes on her. At cruise which is 4000 rpm at 30 mph I burn anywhere from 17 to 19 gph depending on conditions and loadout. I believe last mfg year was 2008 for the sailfish which the replacement being the Chesapeak. Hope this helps

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Doc does a higher pitched prop still allow the motor to turn it's max RPM, 5000-5500? If so gotta wonder why the dealer doesn't install those is in the first place.

If a 250 makes 5500 rpm with a 19" prop on a particular hull, a 225 would likely need to be propped down to a 17" or even a 15" in order to turn the same max rpm. Under those conditions the 250 could produce better midrange fuel economy at lower rpm despite the more aggressive fueling profile.

On older boats, you never know what kind of props might have been put on by previous owners. They are likely not the ones installed by the original dealer.

ahill

Reaction score
The full running surface appeared on the 1998 model
Other slight changes side cabin windows, no front cabin windows which I like better.
The dive ladder is in a molded recess on the aft platform pre 2000, or 2002.
Probably other minor appearance & component changes as well.
The hull are the same from 1998 fwd.
I recently verified you can convert a 225 to a 250 by computer change. Injectors wern't brought up by serv. mgr but seems logical

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I'm looking to move up and have a 2000 sailfish with twin 225s OX66s. At about 3800 rpms we cruise at 30-32 mph on an average day and burn about 18-19 gph depending on load. Top end is mid 40s but thats burning a ton of fuel.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Agree with Ahill on the running hull, it was converted from flat bottom under euro drive to continuous hull. Which would naturraly give it more bouyancy. I think also besides windows the bridge console changed to accept larger screens.

I prefer a forward window particulary usefull when running down to use the head on a drift in busy areas to watch the idiots coming at you from the bow. Also during overnighters to eyeball the wind on flags in the early AM, instead of climbing out of warm cabin to do same!

I don't believe the F250 is same motor as F225. The intake runners are much different and the F250 has VVT.
With respect to non-current Fs.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What I haven't heard anyone say is if there's a difference in ride, handling, etc, full running hull compared to shorter hulls. Is the stepped stern just like a bracket boat with a Euro transom? It would seem the old style hull may be more fuel efficient because less hull in water at planing speed means less resitance? I've been on '98 and newer Sailfish but nothing older. Simply put, did Grady just change the stern to full running hull just to accept 4-strokes? Lot of guys like the stepped stern and there are several repowers out there. To me, other than some styling changes; there are no appreciable differences in say...a '95 - last model year; from what I've seen so far. Thanks guys!

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Tucker said:
What I haven't heard anyone say is if there's a difference in ride, handling, etc, full running hull compared to shorter hulls. Is the stepped stern just like a bracket boat with a Euro transom? It would seem the old style hull may be more fuel efficient because less hull in water at planing speed means less resitance? I've been on '98 and newer Sailfish but nothing older. Simply put, did Grady just change the stern to full running hull just to accept 4-strokes? Lot of guys like the stepped stern and there are several repowers out there. To me, other than some styling changes; there are no appreciable differences in say...a '95 - last model year; from what I've seen so far. Thanks guys!

Guys, haven't gotten any answers on this. Looking at a '99 tomorrow. There are 2-pre-'98 models out there repowered that I would consider but I'm leary of the old style hull. So no comments, critisisms, or opinions?

Desperado

Reaction score
I have only ridden in my 2000, but I think you would have to ride them back to back to tell a difference in seas. The SeaVee2 is what is important IMHO. I would be curious in handling differences in a turn.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you wanted to go 4 stroke in the future then the full running length may be the way to go but if you had/have the chance to get a ride on both styles let us know. Personally I'd like to have someone take a ride on a pre SV-2, pre SV-2 with floation bracket, SV-2, SV-2 euro transom, and SV-2 full running length and give an unbiased evaluation/comparison of the bunch.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Just took delivery of a '99 Sailfish. PO said he had a Sailfish with a bracked, I think he said '86. He hated it, said it didn't ride nearly as good as the full length hull. And, everytime he backed it down it took water over the motors. I never got to ride on a pre '98 model. There are some sweet deals out there though with HPDI's.