sailfish power comparision

mitchell

Reaction score
Wondering what you guys think of a 90's sailfish powered by twin 200hp vs 225hp. heard there might be up to 10mph difference on top end? Thanks

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
What year Sailfish? The early had a nameplate of 400 max. Also which 200 vs 225? The old Yami 6 cyl 4 strokes (200 & 225) were very boisterous in their ratings. The 225 was a little over 200 and the 200 wasn't anywhere near 200.

The late 90's Sailfish weigh more and have more running area, you wouldn't NEED 225's but they may wind up being more efficient. I can hit close to 50 with 200's, the hull isn't going to want to go much faster.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Mine takes off like a bat out of hell! Better be hanging on! Get right at 50 full trim and light load running on smooth water. Power with these motors on this boat is awsome. Can't imagine needing 225's.

mitchell

Reaction score
Grog said:
What year Sailfish? The early had a nameplate of 400 max. Also which 200 vs 225? The old Yami 6 cyl 4 strokes (200 & 225) were very boisterous in their ratings. The 225 was a little over 200 and the 200 wasn't anywhere near 200.

The late 90's Sailfish weigh more and have more running area, you wouldn't NEED 225's but they may wind up being more efficient. I can hit close to 50 with 200's, the hull isn't going to want to go much faster.
The Hull is a 95 and the motors are 1995 evinrudes 200hp

mitchell

Reaction score
ROBERTH said:
Mine takes off like a bat out of hell! Better be hanging on! Get right at 50 full trim and light load running on smooth water. Power with these motors on this boat is awsome. Can't imagine needing 225's.
what motors do you have?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
At bottom of my post:Twin 2006 Yamaha 200 HPDI's.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you are repowering, you might consider the E-TEC 200HO which basically is a 225HP at a 200HP price. Same block, same weight - I think the only difference is how they are tuned in the software.

When you are running WOT testing for max speed/RPM on a Sailfish - where does your motor trim end up and what do you do with the trim-tabs? I'm still trying to figure this out with my 1994 which is the version with the shorter running surface (1994-1997). Is the trim above the middle point of the trim gauge or below it? Do you use the trim-tabs at all or just position them up and out of the way? Regarding the trim-tabs, I would think they could potentially help a little by extending that shorter running surface. My WOT-testing area isn't very long and I don't have much time to mess around before I run out of space so any suggestions would be appreciated. So far I have hit 47 MPH but I know I am not trimmed right yet because I'm 5-6% below the previous owners max RPMs in the motor history report. I expect it to end up at 50MPH or slightly above with these older style Viper props.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
As far as tabs go, when mine are fully retracted, they are level with the hull bottom so already are an extension of the hull surface so to speak. I run the motors at mid trim which is equal to level with hull surface I think. When I run hard to see what I can get on top end, I trim the motors up and watch the rpm's and speed and stop trim once I can't get any more. Then I can experiment with the tabs, but normally, they would be up.
However, when running and she starts to lean due to wind/waves, I will tab one side or the other to even out the level. When running mid speed, it sometimes helps to add a little tab to stop the aft digging affect, but it does not take much tab to achieve this.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ok wait a second, all the guys posting have 200's HPDI's correct? OP's post is about 1995 carbed Evinrudes. A much different animal comparable to Yam SWS carbed 200's. I do know a boat with these and it's a gas-hog and slow. The Sailfish with 200 HPDI's is a great combination. Just as fast as 225 OX66 Yams and more fuel efficient.

Gary M

Reaction score
My 1994 252 Sailfish (with the Euro Transom) had 225 Ocean Pros. It was loaded with hard top, AC, etc and I could get about 37-38 knots (about 43 mph) out of her at 5,500 and trimmed out......

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I would have assumed the 200hp is 200hp whether carb, injected or HPDI. I always thought the 2 strokes were all powerful in all cases. Doesn't make any sense to me unless it is a torque thing and block is got more displacement on HPDI vs older carbed motors?

Anyway, this is a good post comparing and nice to know how everyone is approaching the tweeking of performance and tabs/trim, etc.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
ROBERTH said:
Anyway, this is a good post comparing and nice to know how everyone is approaching the tweeking of performance and tabs/trim, etc.

Yep, interesting about the tabs. I never use mine and, like many Sailfish owners, have buried cavitation plates. Going to try a little tab and see if that raises the stern at all.

Good grief, I bet an airplane doesn't have to go through this much trimming stuff to achieve best ride & efficiency.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ha, yeah....for sure.

I do say though, normally I don't have to trim much, but she does lean left or right sometimes depending upon load or wind so almost always pushing one or the other up or down. But just a tad bit.
Only time using a lot of tab is in rough seas, I put the nose into it to keep from hitting hard.

mitchell

Reaction score
ROBERTH said:
Ha, yeah....for sure.

I do say though, normally I don't have to trim much, but she does lean left or right sometimes depending upon load or wind so almost always pushing one or the other up or down. But just a tad bit.
Only time using a lot of tab is in rough seas, I put the nose into it to keep from hitting hard.

that's what I was wondering. Someone else had told me that they like to lean a little more than some of his other boats and he just used the tabs a
little more often with the sailfish.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have carb'd 200's, HPDI's don't have any more power, they're just more efficient. If they had carbed 200's that dogged, something was wrong. They have the same displacement but the angle of the V changed with the OX series(90 vs 76).

Unless Evinrude changed things, the 200 HO is based on the 225/250 block and is heavier than the standard 200. The HO is a way to get 225 HP yet still comply with the 200 nameplate.

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
I had twin OX66 200 hp motors and replaced them with HPDI 200 hps. There was a major improvement in speed and better fuel and oil economy at any and every RPM. I would recommend the HPDI 200's any day. I know guys with the old carbed 225 motors that don't do as good as mine with the HPDIs

mitchell

Reaction score
I may be going for a test ride soon and will report results.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had twin OX66 200 hp motors and replaced them with HPDI 200 hps. There was a major improvement in speed and better fuel and oil economy at any and every RPM.

Marty - Were you running the same props on the injected vs carburetored engines? For my E-TECs, I just ordered a pair of 17" Rebel props to replace my "older style" 19" Viper props and expect better performance, fuel economy and lower planing speeds.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

I was curious about this and just checked the catalogs and the Sailfish dry weight is listed at 5500# from 1994 to 2000 for the 252 and 272. The Max HP rating for those years is 450 except it increased to 500HP for the 2000 272 and remained there in 2001 when Sailfish moniker changed to 282. The 282 weight is listed at 5800# and the 1993 252 is listed at 5300#.

So apparently increasing the running surface in 1998 did not increase the weight or HP rating.