Sailfish repower with Honda 250’s? Experience and opinions wanted

Joint Venture II

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
All,

I own a 2002 282 Grady Sailfish. The boat currently has 2002 Yamaha F225’s. This is my second Grady.

I am seriously considering a repower and have been doing quite a bit of research on engines. I really like the Honda 250’s (longest warranty @ 5 years, high reliability, best price point, local service). My only concern is the additional weight, and potential impact on scuppers (back and side) especially. The twin 250 Hondas would weigh about 82 lbs more than my existing Yamaha 225 four strokes.

I contacted Grady and they suggested I simulate the weight difference. They did also mention raising the scuppers 1 1/4 inches effective year 2002 (which again is my model year). Not easy to simulate as my boat is on the hard, but I did simulate on a friends 2005 282 Sailfish. When adding 320 lbs (son and friend) to the transom, the scuppers on his boat did remain above the waterline, but the side scuppers were somewhat close.

My questions:

Anyone (now or in the past) run Honda 250’s on a Sailfish?

If so, any issues with scuppers/waterline? Any issues with performance, handling? How did/do you like the engines?

What kind of mpg and knot cruise?

Thanks in advance. Would really appreciate some honest feedback. Even if you don’t have this boat/engine combo, opinions are more than welcome!

Bill in NJ

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
if in good shape and well sealed, low scuppers are not the end of the world. the flaps actually do a pretty good job keeping water out. its probably time to replace your deck drain hoses anyway at 21 years. i cant imagine 82lbs being that much of a problem, even if that was per engine.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
All,

I own a 2002 282 Grady Sailfish. The boat currently has 2002 Yamaha F225’s. This is my second Grady.

I am seriously considering a repower and have been doing quite a bit of research on engines. I really like the Honda 250’s (longest warranty @ 5 years, high reliability, best price point, local service). My only concern is the additional weight, and potential impact on scuppers (back and side) especially. The twin 250 Hondas would weigh about 82 lbs more than my existing Yamaha 225 four strokes.

I contacted Grady and they suggested I simulate the weight difference. They did also mention raising the scuppers 1 1/4 inches effective year 2002 (which again is my model year). So are your scuppers already raised? If so, no worries .Not easy to simulate as my boat is on the hard, but I did simulate on a friends 2005 282 Sailfish. When adding 320 lbs (son and friend) to the transom, the scuppers on his boat did remain above the waterline, but the side scuppers were somewhat close.

My questions:

Anyone (now or in the past) run Honda 250’s on a Sailfish?

If so, any issues with scuppers/waterline? Any issues with performance, handling? I believe that hull also could be powered with F250s. The difference in weight between them and Hondas should be negligible and should not affect handling. How did/do you like the engines?

What kind of mpg and knot cruise? MPG will be better than the f225. Cruise will be similar since these hulls are generally designed to cruise in the 25-35 mph range.

Thanks in advance. Would really appreciate some honest feedback. Even if you don’t have this boat/engine combo, opinions are more than welcome!

Bill in NJ

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
I contacted Grady and they suggested I simulate the weight difference.
That is what I suggest too as it easy to do and works on any boat.

As the boat is on land but you tried it on the same model but with much more weight I would not worry.

The Sailfish is a rather big and heavy boat so I think that there will no serious (if so) sinking happen as it's only about 85 lbs.
In case transom sinks too much you can do another test and shift some weight forward to counterbalance.

Chris

fordfisherman

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I run a single Honda 250 on my 96 Voyager- Quiet, sips fuel, plenty of power and easy to maintain. Look into Tohatsu as well, same motor with a different badge.