Sailfish: Soft floor?

whalerron

Reaction score
I was told that the Sailfish has a common problem with the floor panel that covers the fuel tank. I have been told that this panel gets "soft" over time and needs to be reinforced. Has anyone had this problem and if so, how did you correct it?

I am looking at a used Sailfish and that panel is soft on this boat.

Thanks,
Ron

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
whaleron, I cut a piece of 1/2" plywood to fit over this panel (slightly larger than the panel) It redistributes the weight of my heavy footed and excited fishing buddies over the entire surface. Stained and spar varnished the plywood so it matches the rest of the wood on the boat. 8)

whalerron

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Murphy's Law implies that when I pull up a soft panel over a fuel tank, the tank is gonna be bad too!

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Had the same thing happen to my 2000 sailfish which is located in Ocean City MD. Had Jim (Jim's Marine) remove the panel and reseal with a strong resin. Says he sees this a lot and it is due to the wood not being properly sealed or something. Anyhow, mine is now better then new and solid. Definitely fix because it will be a big pain if you put your foot through or crack the form.