Sailfish Suprise

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Fished the Chesapeake Bay yesterday, had five nice rock 30 to 37 inches and kept two for the table. While out there I was running my live well and noticed that the drain was not keeping up with the pump. I figured we had a clog and I set out to clear it. I ended up in the aft cabin, removing the bulkhead panels (2 of 3) to get to the hose fittings. There I discovered a SEA COCK that was only 1/2 open. I thought I had read all of the documentation enough time to know every through hull fitting, it location and where it went! So I went back to the book, nope its not there! Why would you put a Sea Cock in that location! At least now I know where it is.

While doing this I also discovered a few other tid bits that need attention:
- While the livewell was overflowing it was draining down into the forward bilge area because the live well is not completely sealed alone the upper seams.
- Water also drained into the fish box and melted all of my ice!

I have been searching for the source of forward bilge water for a few weeks, now I know where its coming from. With the Sea Cock fully open, its draining fine. But, I need to get some 4200 in there and seal that live well basin along the top seam.
Ken

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I take it the sea cock was threaded on the thruhull?

If the drain thru hull is close to the water line, in the previous owners opinion, then it should be sea cocked. Even with metal thruhulls, the hose pass and/ or fitting on the LW can cut loose. Hence the security even in mind, of closing it when not used. When in use and on the water, if one discovers high bilge water, just run and close all sea cocks as a plan.

I don't think the intent was to throttle the drainage rate. So it's either open or closed, no in between.

If the LW is rarely used, no big deal going after the valve when needed, and keeping it closed for the duration for safety and piece of mind.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I forgot, the advise doesn't apply to deck drains overboard, no sea cocks for those.

Have fun!

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Thats what I figured Bob. It is bolted to the through hull, located right at the waterline, which kinda concerned me for a live well drain. But, after opening the sea cock fully, it had no problem keeping the live well at the proper level while we trolled. We'll see how it goes if/when we ever chunk. Which is not a normal event on the Canyon Draggin'. It was just a surprise to find it is such an obscure location.

The previous owner is a good friend of mine, and he tells me he didn't put it there. He never had those panels open. After all, he put 85 hours on the boat over 6 years.

I am in the process this week of removing all panels, re-seating all fittings and doing a bunch of resealing.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ken, thanks for the thread, my livewell drains almost too quickly, I never thought to check if there is a sea cock at the fitting, there is not one in the manual, I may need to check that out, and possibly add one. Good to hear you guys are getting into some stripers down there, what were you pulling? spoons or shads? Up here the bite has been picky, almost all bass have been caught on live bunker or bunker heads, with few on the troll or other baits. The few trolled so far have been on stretches and spoons. I know in the Chesapeake guys love to troll, I'm, surprised though that more guys don't fish live bunker when the big fish are around it is like candy.

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Tom,
Three of the five came on Tony 21 spoons 100 feet back from a planer board. They were rigged with 72 inch leaders to a ball bear snap swivel where I put a 3 oz cigar sinker. This keeps it just below the surface. The other two came on 8 oz buck tails rigged with 6" shads, one white one chartreuse. These were at about 50 feet back which places them around 25 feet deep at 2.8 kts.

The planer boards were run about 75 feet from the beam, so the lines were well clear of the boat. Many reported skunks for the day; the bay fish are boat shy, and ya gota run planer boards else rename your boat the "One a Day" or "None Today".

We use to use a lot of live bait when we could fish the middle bay gas docks (major structure). In the spring there was a fair amount of success, as well as through out the year. That is no longer an option due to security standoffs. Also, since I have been fishing the Chesapeake Bay (95ish), most of the recs and charter Capts that I know have experienced the bigger fish caught on the troll.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Glad to hear your guys put some fish in the boat, I'm assuming the 8oz bucktails are similar to mojo rigs, I own and use a few of them. I usually get laughed at for bringing them out, most guys up here do not use them or have never seen one before but I've had some good luck with them. Unfortunetley, there are too many bluefish that invaded the bay for me to pull anything with a shad on it. Glad to hear the boat is getting bloody!!! Heard some good reports from OI so the fish will be in your neck of the woods soon. I'm hoping for a stellar offshore season, the warm eddy that pushed our way is hopefully a good sign of things to come, it usually is.

Boats Rock

Reaction score
I was also on the Bay last weekend and scored rock. I landed a 43 1/2 inch 25 pounder and my dad hit a 41 inch 22 pounder. It was a little cold and blowing but the fish made up for it. We trolled with umbrella rigs and parachutes. If you have any photos post them.