Sailfish Trailer Cost

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Does anyone have an idea of how much a trailer cost that can handle a Sailfish. I pay about 1,500 a year for winter storage and was debating just bringing it to my back yard ?

Desperado

Reaction score
Mine was a little over $5K. Heavy duty tandem (8 lug axles), brakes on both axles, spare hub & wheel. 5 aluminim wheels cost me $500 extra.

ahill

Reaction score
Check Craigs List.
My son just got a triple axle float on rated at 15K for his 31 Contender Fisharound. Cost $2900 plus he had to replace the brakes with new Kodiaks at $500,
Don't rush, look for a deal

busterblue

Reaction score
I 2nd the craigslist idea. Great place to get bargains. As for winter storage, even though I keep my sailfish 252 on a trailer all summer, in the winter I use boat stands to lift it off the trailer. I think its better for the trailer/tires and also makes it easier to work on the hull. Its alos beter on the hull because I have a roller trailer.

mrzeeno98

Reaction score
Worth the cost

I bought a trailer for our 97 Sailfish three years ago (Venture 3 axle) and never regretted it. It's so convenient having the boat next to my garage/shop where we have power, hand tools, air tools, water, and access to spare parts and accessories close by. We also have work "parties" with my sons and their families in the spring.... a great way to get the prep done and share good times without the 40-minute drive each way to the marina where we berth the boat in the summer.
IMHO a win-win-win.

reelserious

Reaction score
Legend said:
Does anyone have an idea of how much a trailer cost that can handle a Sailfish. I pay about 1,500 a year for winter storage and was debating just bringing it to my back yard ?

If it were me I would consider getting it hauled back and forth and invest in 4 jack stands. If you don't plan to trailer the boat anywhere besides your house and back once each year, and you don't have too far to go, you can probably go ten or more years paying the haul before you break even on the trailer investment....and then you have to add the trailer maintenance on top of that. My two cents anyway.

georgemjr

Reaction score
Like anything, there are pros and cons to having a trailer. I had one for over a decade and enjoyed the convenience of hauling myself at the beginning and end of the year, also the ability to pull it if I wanted or had trouble with the boat (rarely to never). A trailer certainly pays for itself over time. The negatives, whch stop me from owning one at this point is that it took up half my driveway all year long. In addition you will have maintainence, but not much. I just didn't have enough room to want to store a trailer all year to use it twice.

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
I pay a tow company $350 each way about 40 miles to my house in the spring and fall. I bought the 4 jack stands for @80 each. For me this made sense because I didn't want to spend the 3 to 5 k for a trailer then another 30 k plus for somthing that could tow it. It just worked out good for me.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Thanks for the tips - A few of the comments brought back memories when I had a 19 foot Mako with a trailer. Maintenance was a pain - it was pre buddy bearings and the worst was having it sit in the yard all summer. I think I will try buying the stands and having it hauled - still saves over a grand in storage -

Crazy Snake

Reaction score
I bought a Hi-Tech from Panama City, Fl. for about $3600 for my 283 release. I launch at different sites including Oregon Inlet, N.C., Hatteras Island and Hampton Roads area., so I didn't want my boat kept at a marina. My trailer is triple torsion axles with Kodiaks on all axles.
They have a dealer in Richmond, Va. that advertises on CraigsList.
Dale D. 8) 8)

Desperado

Reaction score
My trailer is a Hi-Tech. So far I have no complaints, if anything I feel it is a little "overbuilt", which is never a bad thing.