Sailfish Transom/Fiberglass Question

OBX Grady

Reaction score
I found a 2000 272 for a relatively low price but I found quite a few areas that concern me. Not being a fiberglass expert myself, could someone look at these pictures and tell me if I should run from or go jump on the opportunity. My wife and I are now in the market for a 272 and the 99-01 years are in our price range. Thank you for the help. 1B1CC74A-18D6-4A3D-BBA3-CF3B3086C328.jpeg3E37FE53-B640-40C7-AF9B-D02239381006.jpegAA67A790-601B-4F03-AD46-A13B6FFAC5B9.jpeg

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Run from it? No. But get a hull survey done by a reputable surveyor. DON'T shop for a surveyor by price, alone. Any Joe Schmoe can become a surveyor - ask around for references. And even a potential surveyor for some sample/previous surveys to look at.

It could be an easy fix with no internal damage... or there could be some transom core issues. It's all fixable, but with the survey in hand, you can use that to your advantage during negotiations. Of course, if the deal is "that good", then maybe the owner has already accounted for the repair in his price.

Get an engine survey, too.

Just looking at those pictures, though... It doesn't worry me. But it's kinda hard to "really" tell from here in PA.

Reactions: ScottyCee

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I don't have experience with a 2000 272 but I would say that usually, on transoms in general, there is not a seam in the fiberglass in those corners.
There is a seam under the aluminum.

I would hesitate. I would need the boat out of the water to check the transom. I would have to remove all that caulk and get a good look.
I would ask if the transom was "repaired" at any time.

Fishtales

Reaction score
That on the surface isn't a reason to disregard the boat. If everything else looks decent as stated get a survey done. You really want to determine if the transom is wet or not. If solid, you can pull all that old caulk out do some glass work or reseal and go.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Screws are missing in bang plate. More than likely there is water intrusion into the core. A good survey is in order before proceeding. The damage can be fixed at a cost, just need to know any issues up front before proceeding with negotiations.

Reactions: ScottyCee

OBX Grady

Reaction score
Thank you all for the information. The boat is about 4k under other comparable boats. I am going to have a survey done and see to what repairs are needed as suggested. Thanks again for your help.

seasick

Reaction score
Regarding the picture of the motor well floor: I can't really tell if under that green stain is caulked or not. It looks like it may be caulk. If so, the crack in that area may run the full width and that spot is not generally a good spot for a crack.
It could mean that the transom has flexed. What motors are on the vessel?
If indeed that connection between deck and wall is cracked, I would worry that the transom is compromised. A survey should tell you but note that if the transom core is hollow due to rot, a moisture test won't necessarily show that.
The existing caulk job is terrible and that makes me suspicious of the care and maintenance done by the previous owner(s).
Good luck with the survey.

OBX Grady

Reaction score
Seasick, I couldn't tell either whether it was caulk or not as its in an odd place. The boat has twin Yamaha HPDI 200's. The owner is an absentee one and rarely used the boat.
My other concern is that the area where the boat is docked has been hit by some nasty flooding/storms over the past two years. Who knows what kind of damage could have occurred. I seriosly doubt the boat was hauled out each time. The boat is in NC and the owner is in Ohio.
I will let you know what the survey results are. Thank you.

Capnjim7

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Be sure your surveyor uses moisture meter on the transom and if there is an issue with the transom call Grady and ask for the number of Troy Willard and David Nelson near Little Washington NC... they handle all of Grady's warranty glass /hull work and will talk to you on the phone and work with you to get an estimate for your negotiations. They are the masters. They can fix anything...

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Based on those photos and the fact that the boat is 20 years old, I would go in assuming that the transom had to be repaired and it was going to cost me $6 to $7K. If you like the boat and it's priced right, I would still consider it. The much bigger concern is the power. If the motors are tired and you need to re-power shortly after the purchase, now you're talking between $40 to $50K.

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have the same exact thing on my sailfish. When I purchased 2 years ago, surveyor said it's most likely covering up spider cracks, but cannot find any evidence of transom damage. He stated he sees this all the time on the sailfish and rarely has it proven to be transom failer. Fast forward 2 years, I had my motors mounted up one more bolt and Marina said transom is dry and stable. He said bang plate should be removed and glassed over tho so to prevent premature failer. I didn't have the time or money when motors we're raised so next year I'll be removing bang plate and glassing it over.

SeaVee

Reaction score
Can you still get the bang plate from GW?

Fishtales

Reaction score
yes, they still have them. the new one is while plastic material (not aluminum).

OBX Grady

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for the advice. Quick update on this boat. I had a survey done today and he found several issues that I found interesting:
  • Motors have roughly 1650 hours each and show signs of heavy saltwater use. e.g. heavy corrosion around heads, thermostat housings, etc.
  • Transom bang plate shows minimal water intrusion with moisture meter and visual observation.
  • Crack on well floor was not sealed and its green mold/mildew. He said is a very odd place to crack and would be concerned that there is an underlying hull/structural issue.
  • Auxiliary fuel tank has a leak. Heavy corrosion on top of tank with deck plate removed indicated most likely the tank is leaking, not a hose.
He explained to me that the 99 and up Sailfish have greenwood and it withstands water/rot very well. He said one of the issues you see is the known Grady "bump" (his words) that is common when water intrusion is present. From what I am told there is an aluminum plate in the transom and the saltwater reacts with it creating aluminum oxide. It just continues to grow and pushes out on the fiberglass. Once the water intrusion stops, so does the chemical reaction. He called Grady to confirm for me that a transom replacement is in the 5-6k range on this model. He recommends for the price, its an acceptable issue. However, he was more concerned about the lack of overall maintenance on the motors, well crack, and the boat overall.

His opinion was that on any of the Grady 99 and up models, a small amount of water intrusion is tolerable although obviously it is not wanted. He has seen dozens of these boats get the bang plate fixed/sealed and the owners get many years of use before a transom replacement/repair is needed. What is you opinion on this statement?

I think we may pass on this one, there are way to may unknowns, especially with the cost of a re-power. I understand that any motor can let go at anytime but I just have an uneasy feeling about this one Maybe I am being to cautious. I have found another Sailfish that looks promising. More information to come!

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yeah the motor issue is something you don't want to deal with unless the seller is giving a serious reduction in price. If the motors we're maintained properly then the other somewhat minor items wouldn't scare me aeay. It would be something to negotiate and come home with.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Look elsewhere , I wouldn't even consider a 20 yo boat with very poor maintenance she will be a money pit.