Sailfish trim tabs

Boosted1

Reaction score
I have a 99 sailfish with the original Bennett hydraulic trim tabs. They are super slow to move and the port side like to retract on its own under way. I’m thinking it’s time to replace the actuators. Anyone have any info on these? Is there a way to upgrade them so I can have the switch with the indicator lights? Any help or pointers is appreciated. Thanks

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
First check the fluid. Granted, it shouldn't leak out, though.

Check for leaks on the inside of the transom, hydraulic piston on the outside and at the pump.

They can be rebuilt - contact Bennett with a picture of your actuators.

seasick

Reaction score
If you don't see a leak in the plumbing and don't see the reservoir level dropping then the most likely cause of the actuator slowly retracting is not a bad acuator but rather a bad or dirty solenoid valve. These valves are located on the reservoir assembly and should be colored;, one is green and one is red. The valves can be screwed out but be careful not to drop or loose the check ball. If crud or a piece of dirt gets stuck in the valve, it may not close completely. The valve can go bad but try ta cleaning first.
While you are at it, check the oil to see if it is old and dirty. You may also need to flush the tank, clean it and refill with new fluid.

Boosted1

Reaction score
There’s no visible leaks and the fluid level hasn’t dropped. You have me thinking it’s a solenoid valve issue. Thanks for the pointers

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
With no leaks, I highly doubt it's your actuators.

Use the trouble shooting help on their website or give them a call - they're super helfpul.