Sailfish vs. Islander

delongo

Reaction score
Hey everyone.....I have a 1994 19' Tournament and am looking into bumping up in size. I really like the 27' sailfish, but also see that the islander is 27' also. Or does somebody think that there's a comparable 25' Grady? So, the big question is which one to go with. Any tips on pros and cons would be great. Thanks!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The Sailfish is a heavier and a wide body boat with a larger cabin and lower sleeping berth in addition to the usual V berth, the Islander doesn't have. The narrow beam Islander is legally trailerable w/o restrictions and comes equipped either single or twin motors, only twins on the Sailfish due sto it's heft and beaml.

That's it in a nutshell.

All the Sailfish models are the same length, irespective of the first two digits of the model number.

Both Sailfish and Islander models have been discontinued, the last of which just last year - Sailfish > RIP.

Good luck.

Desperado

Reaction score
I went with the Sailfish for the aft birth and the added size. I looked at both and the Sailfish feels like it has a lot more room in the fishing area and helm. Trailering the Islander will be easier, but I am able to trailer my Sailfish without a problem (F350).

delongo

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks guys! Are there any cons to the sailfish that you can think of? Also, what are they typically powered with? Do you find the cabin space to be large enough? The boat will be for JUST my lady and i, plus our labrador. Lab goes in the aft birth :) Thanks again everyone!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Here's something you need to hear but will never admit to:

Let your "Lady" make the choice, if you know what's good for you.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The lab will fit in the aft berth but getting down may be a problem. It's not made for grown humans but OK for kids or dogs. The V will be tight with 2 of you but do-able. You aren't going to want to hang out in the cabin (not made for that anyway) but it serves the purpose. I'm thinking AC is going to be a must too. Newer models want a mininum of 200's (2 stroke) or 225's (4 stroke).

Considering the market, you may want to look at Marlins too. Upkeep is more $ and trailering is not that easy but it's also quite a bit more boat. If in the near future you decide to step up again, selling a boat may still be tough.

Desperado

Reaction score
I have twin 200 HPDIs and love them. 4 stroke economy with 2 stroke performance and weight (they are cheaper to buy, but tougher to sell). My wife and I "camp out" periodically and share the front birth. It is tight, but can be done. The only thing that I consider a problem is trailering it. Weight, length, and width are NOT a problem. It is the height that is occassionally an issue. Country roads with low hanging limbs can be scary. I have not broken anything yet, but have sent a few oak leaves flying. I have learned to plan my routes ahead of time to account for this.

delongo

Reaction score
Great Info!

BobP - My lady liked the sailfish cause she could sleep while i fish!

More questions: is the aft birth a single? And is there factory heat on board or would i be looking at aftermarket red dot? It looks like there's a ref. and possibly a micro down there? Is the head reasonable, meaning can I "spend time" if necessary? Sorry to bombard you guys, but i need first hand knowledge.....

Oh, one last thing, has anyone carried a dighy with these boats? Any particular setup? Reason being, is that when anchored, i'm going to need to ferry the pooch to shore so she can "spend time" as well :)

Desperado

Reaction score
The aft birth is a single. There is a fridge, microwave, and single burner. Mine does not have factory heat or AC, if you do a search on here you can see that people have added it after the fact and used a Honda EU2000 generator as power. The head is tight, but useable. I close the door to the entire cabin and leave the head door open when "spending time" down there.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
From your description of use, the Sailfish would definitely be the better choice. If you want to pooch to be able to enter and exit the cabin unassisted, depending on his agility, you might try self-stick non-skid rubber mat on the steps, or possibly make a ramp that can be placed from the door threshold to the cabin sole.

Rear berth is more than big enough for your four legged friend. Kids or one (not tall) adult could use it. V-berth with be a cozy spot you your lasy and you. You won't need to worry about falling out of bed :D

The head is just big enough to be useful. There is also a shower head in there, and a sump drail with pump, to handle the gray water. Toilet tissue dispenser is conveniently placed in a dry cabinet under the lav. All in all, a well thought out and functional layout for a 28. I know people that have stayed on board a Sailfish for 2 weeks at a time. It's not a yacht, but a lot of boat for a it's size.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What's reasonable for spending time or not down there is a matter of personal opinion, one's budget, what one is accustomed to living, and how large of people you are!

Go to your local dealer and get aboard used brokered models to try out for yourself. No commitment to buy there if you do.

You will find out right away, or the Admiral will, what is acceptable or not.

As far as A/C reverse cycle (heat) goes, factory options on at least the Sailfish don't know about the Islander, however, for about $3K, either can be retrofitted with same.

Since both model cabins are not "spacious" as living spaces, I bet which one will be picked. Just make sure you don't enter the cabin of a 33 express! Keep the Admiral as far away as possible !

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
GMAN

There's always a bigger boat !
Be working until death paying them off ! (And I don't mean paying off price of the the Admiral)

At least will die happy!