Sailfish vs marlin vs older sportfish?

jbrinch88

Reaction score
Hey guys, currently in an older 1988 24 offshore that I’ve redone over the years and it has a 2019 300 Yamaha on it. Boats been great and I’ve actually started to use it a lot more lately than the last 3 years ( house, work, kid, life, etc) lol.

Love the simplicity of the boat for how we use. I don’t fish too much these days mostly just beach runs and anchoring up. Between me, the wife, our 10 month old and dog boat is starting to get tight. Family may be growing on the future as well.

I’ve always loved the 27/28 sailfish and 30 Marlin. Lots of time fishing on a friends 30 marlin and it’s very roomy.

Looking to upgrade and although these days I spend more time at the beach then fishing is like to have a decent fishing platform still available. Would like to start overnighting and going on some small weekend trips.

Are the 28 and 30 too small? For the price range I’m looking at I feel I could step into an older sportfish in the 29-33’ range.

appreciate any advice

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hi Jbrinch;

Other than just knowing about them, I'm not familiar with the Sailfish Line.

The Marlin, however, I can give you input on.

You've already spent time aboard one so, you know it's seakeeping abilities and the ride.

I overnighted in mine for 4 years. The mid berth sleeps two comfortably, although you twist and turn entering & exiting. The V-berth forward can convert to a sleeping area by removing the table and adding the filler cushion designed for the purpose.

Head, galley, seating around the forward berth makes for a reasonable overnight & weekend platform.

I would recommend a generator option if you overnight at anchor and want A/C, stove & amenities. I used the crap out of my Fisher Panda. I wouldn't have a Marlin without one.

The KEY here is yours (and more importantly) your wife's (Read: Admiral) expectations and preferences. What made me happy may not cut the mustard for you guys.

I know little to nothing about older Sportfish models.

Reactions: Pat Hurley

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Take a look at the express, in either the 30 or 33 as well. Different layout than the marlin, but offers much down below for overnighting. IMO, the Express (or the BW/Pursuits with same layout) with the mid berth is the best option out there for overnighting, until you get to the over over 40' class in a sport fisher. The express will be significantly less expensive to run and maintain than the SF'er as well.

I'm clearly biased (Ha!), but for my needs the express does 99% of what I want. The only thing it does not do well is play the run and gun game for albacore and bonito in the fall.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
i dont like the sport fish layout and proportions until about 40 ft. they feel like a compressed version of what they should be.

it really just depends on what you want. outboards or inboards. low helm or helm on a bridge. deck and cabin on one level, or steps down to the cabin...

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I looked at a Sailfish. They’re nice but too small for what you’re talking about. I have a Marlin and it was a better choice for my needs and like Magicalbill said “get the generator”. However what you described the express 33’ would be my choice as the accommodations below are far superior and the cockpit space will match that of the Marlin.

Reactions: magicalbill

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Don't bother with the sailfish, just go right to the marlin/305 or 330 express. You didn't mention budget, but that will determine a lot. I would stay away from any "older" sportfish as it will be a money pit. I have a couple of friends that have older tiara 31's that they weekend on a lot and are also a good fishing boat. If you do a lot of beach runs in shallow water, outboards will probably be better.

jbrinch88

Reaction score
Hey guys appreciate all the info. I agree I think although a nice boat, if I went for the sailfish i would regret not going right for the marlin. The Express layouts are nice but seem to be out of my budget. Would really like to stick to around the 50k area. I've seen a lot of used Marlins right around there some under some over depending on year and power.

Me and the wife combined are under 300 lbs were pretty slim and we are easy to please. We don't need anything too fancy and just want the boat to overall check all the boxes. I am in the marine business so any work the boat needs i can take care of although these days my free time has become very limited. The 24 offshore I spent a lot of time working on, time at this point in my life i don't have. Would rather spend the money on something pretty much turn key.

I love outboards and am honestly nervous to dive into a sportfish with diesels. The parts, maintenance and upkeep are expensive and I don't think I'd really benefit from having the power. Love the idea of having the room of the marlin and still being able to anchor up in shallow water when we go to the beach.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
"I know little to nothing about older Sportfish models."

An older sportfish will eat you alive (time &/or money) even if you can do your own maintenance and repairs. However, if you were willing for travel to find a fresh water sportfish, many of the potential issues will have been mitigated.

Also, keep in mind that it can be very difficult to unload an older SF.

Reactions: Pat Hurley

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have a Sailfish - we do a lot of overnight excursions 1-3 day, We sleep 2 in the forward berth and our daughter used to sleep in the aft berth with a golden retriever. I would say it is comfortable but very basic. Bigger is usually better but the budget generally helps you decide.

RobboNJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I agree with Legend. I also have 282 Sailfish. My dock neghbor has 300 Marlin. If you can swing it, skip the Sailfish and go for the Marlin. Wider, larger aft deck area, slightly larger cabin. I love my Sailfish for fishing with a couple of buddies, or with my wife and daughter, but 4 people overnight would be difficult.