SAILFISH

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
Now that my OFFSHORE is sold the hunt begins for my next Grady.
I'm looking at SAILFISH models in the post 92 era . I am curious as to whether all 93 models were "SPORTBRIDGES", and if not what was the Diff. in that and a "standard" SAILFISH. :?:

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Yes, the '93 was a Sportbridge model. You would be wise to check out Brian's (member gw204) 93 Sailfish. He is selling her, and is in the process or rigging a newer pair of engines. You can find the listing here on the GG website, in the classifieds.

I owned her the first 12 or so years, and Brian has had her since. The boat is a 9 or 9+. I don't know what engines Brian is installing, but if you are looking for that vintage Sailfish, you really must see this boat.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
In 1990, the Sailfish model changes included cabin remodelig with the new lower berth (where it is now - across the beam under the bridge). This raised the height of the bridge from previous models, hence "Sportbridge", they all were the same, irrespective of I/O, bracket outborad or on-transom outboard.

The Sportbridge offers a commanding view over previous model.

In 1994 the Euro transom invasion occurred and Grady adopted the Marlin style transom for the Sailfish. Soon after they dropped the "Sportbridge" suffix, not that anything changed when it was dropped.

From 1994 and on, the euro transom takes up some of the cockpit length the prior years had, in favor of built in seat, tuna door, and intergrated swim platform. And all models and the three engine choice mounts of the Sailfish became just one model.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I forgot to mention it, another member reminded me with his post.

The euro transom access for auxiliaries is more difficult that the 1993 and back versions, entire rear is open on my 1992 252G. Plenty of room back there. I figured if I was 25 lbs lighter, I could climb in there, and close it up and no one would know.

Only on a bet though!

Also the full stern of my cockpit has coming pads straight around, so can and do fish entire stern and use to brace against in tough seas. The built in seat Sailfish in area of seat doesn't afford a position to brace against to stand, so the corners wll have to do, or have to sit down.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
1990, 91, 92, and 93 are the same designs.

1994, 95, 96, 97 are the same designs. In 1998, the flat bottom euro transom changed to V shape to match the continuous hull.

I'm done now!

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
Thanks Capt. Bill and BobP, I was fairly sure of that but not 100% . I like the 92 and 93 models due to the transom design and the SeaV2 hull.
The hunt is ON!!! :D

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That's right, the SeaV2 hull started in year 1992 for the Sailfish, so there was change in design, hull shape only, my error.

richmake

Reaction score
In my opinion....92,93 sportbridges are one of the best 25' fishing platforms in the world...
They offer huge cockpit space for the size and two berths below...the list goes on....
One other point of view and it's just my opinion is the boat was not offered in the era of 4 strokes but put them on if you can....amazing performance and not one issue with weight.
I know some will argue against this and it's been covered before but I just thought I'd throw it out there.
Here's 'Tenacious':
2008_0409_232808AA.jpg

2008_0525_050246AA.jpg

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Couldn't say it better - there is more usable cockpit area for fishing than a Marlin, and the cabin is very tall for a 25 footer, I could not fit in the 265 Express w/o rubbin my head. The major fishwell and livewell are behind you, not between you and the water (in the way). You can fish the entire stern and walk fish around the motors will little rod extension, not so with any euros except the whalers.
It's a very big boat for 25 foot, the big sister of another very big boat for it's size, the 20 foot walkaround.
Both boats have been copied very heavily by all the others and are lengendary in their product history.

I'd buy another newer one but I'm not into supersized euro transoms, I prefer a trimmer rear end.

And mine is not for sale!

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
I also posted his on THT. I sold my 24' grady last weekend. Now it's on to my next (93-98 Grady sailfish). I grabbed a paper last week on the way home from the coast and viola', theres ALMOST the exact boat I'm looking for in my price range!!! yahoo I think it's my lucky day.
I contacted the gentleman in the ad and spoke with him. He was the owners son in law. He put me in touch with the owner and we corresponded through the week . I asked for pictures of the boat to be emailed to me. He told me fine I'll get S-N-L to send them out. He said this boat is "PRISTINE" and that's the exact word he used. I recieved the pics on tuesday and from the ground starboard view the boat seemed pretty nice but not "PRISTINE" , but pics often lie. I called him and asked about interior shots, I'll get them out today he said on wednesday . I check wed. afternoon and no pics. Slightly strange as this man has a boat for sale and he had told me how much he needed to sale due to cash flow probs.
Anyway I called on thursday afternoon about the pics and he said S-N-L must have forgot. Again tells me it's "PRISTINE" .Easy enough in a busy world I guess. I had told earlier in the week I would like to see the boat on sat. so forget the pics I'll see in person.
He is two and a half hours away . My family has a party to go to at 1:00 today so the schedule is tight . I have my survey sheets, compression tester, impact driver (for lower unit screws) and various hand tools loaded up. The wife arises at 3:45 am and wakes me at 4:15 ( GOD I love that woman)to get ready to leave, outa the house at buttcrack o' thirty and down the road we go.
We pull in to the address to see this "PRISTINE" Grady . It's there alright, not too bad from the ground , radar dome nice and shiny, engine appearence ok ......... time to climb aboard WRONG!!!!! this thing looks like a BOMB has went off aboard it!!! The seats were weathered and cracked . the fwd bilge had about 6" of water standing in it , the cabin was mildewed and had a rusty can of beanie weinies staining the sink with rust , a can of air freshener doing the same thing to the sole. The head had been removed and replaced with a five gallon bucket and trash bag set-up, a big 6oz. jig stuck thru the carpet on the cabin bulkhead, my son thought he was going thru the deck at the transom as it had obviosly been removed and put back un-supported the list could go on and on but I will not
Why would this man waste my time and money knowing that his boat was NOT "PRISTINE"? He even told me he had a guy work on cleaning it for three days this week. I hope he didn't pay him much . Probably a bottle of Boones Farms best.
I started to rip him a new AZZ for F$$%^%^ing jerking me around but I didn't. I just kept telling myself to be nice and just leave. I did after only about thirty minutes. That was twenty minutes too long! What an AZZHOLE! Cost me 6 hours and 50.00 bucks in gas for nothing.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Don't worry, you'll find the right one. This is the time to be a buyer and unless you're comfortable checking EVERYTHING, get a survey.

Unfortunately there are a lot of ____ out there, too bad you found one on the first try.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Unfortunate, but it does happen too often.

Even had Grady dealers misrepresent brokered boats, wasted many miles of driving. And the (obvious) things I found wrong with the boat / motor were a secret until I spotted them, then the dealer said they were negotiable, he knew all along every thing wrong but didn't disclose, just wanted to make a sale and maximize his commission. The boat was priced as if the condition didn't matter.

Basically, they want to get you down to the boat, and negotiate the price down and give the salesman a chance to work his magic. If you are smart enough to know better - otherwise they found a sucker and it's Christmas and they are taking cash.

The guy had a choice to write in ad "needs work, good hull" or something like that, but that's the honest way, not sucker bait. He said what he needed to to get you down, I had the same issue when looking for used cars. Say anything to get the guy down.

This boat - you may have been also looking for a project boat, if you did, then no offer is inappropiate, even 20 cents on the dollar. I can see this boat ending up at some broker's auction, like that guy in Jersey, where it sells for $5K.

Keep looking, you will find what you want. Don't let elctonics fool you, you ar enot buying electronics, you ar ebuying a boat/motor.

Brian GW204 on this site is selling his 1993. As far as condition, I don't think a finer 1993 is out there, my 92 doesn't come close, so even if you don't want his, see the condition and use it as a standard to judge others.

Remember, your stated interest is in boats 16-17 yrs old, that's not new, a lot different from a 5 yr old. Don't expect 5 yr old condition to dominate the 16 yr old market, and do expect to pay top dollor for a "pristine" 16 yr old boat which wil be a rare find.. Especially fishing boats, they are used more than sunday boats.

The proper term in boating, is "bristol" condition.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
By the way, here are some tips to use on older boats and don't count on stated condition as a guide since it's an opinion, not science.

Ask:
What's wrong with the boat / motors?
What doesn't work?
What's been replaced?
How do you use the boat and how often?
Are the gas tanks original?
How old are electronics, what do you have? Does it all work?

Do you have service records for motors?
A minimum of 3 yrs past is the rule. If he has dealer do service, call dealer to FAX you copy of service records, ask seller for the OK first.
You want to see the usual stuff like lower unit fluids, water pumps, plugs etc being done, and anodes. Get seller to email you photos, if he says he doesn't use a computer, ask him to mail it by post office letter.

Are the powerheads original or replaced, how many hrs?
What service on motors do you do every year?

If you get, "well I can't answer sicne my uncle is a mechanic and he takes care of it and he moved to Germany", or my father would know but he died last year, or other wishy washy answers, then be prepared.

It's always "buyer beware" anyway. Good thing is you have many to pick from, not one or two, so you will have a choice and better price with more boats for sale, take your time don't rush a purchase.

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. What I find is alot of times people just don't, or won't take care of their stuff.
Kinda crazy to put out the amount of money it takes to have a nice boat and then neglect it.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Another thing not unusual - be it a BMW, Grady, Mercedes, some people buy them new and sell off in 3-5 years, at a time typical when more than the routine manintenance comes into play, and do zero non-routine maintenance and run them ino the ground.
If it breaks, they leave it that way.

I recall looking at a used Sailfish at a Grady dealer, it was 4-5 yrs old at the time, here's what I found - remember it's just 4-5 yrs old.

- anchor locker door, one hinge - screws very loose, door nearly came off in my hand.

- hardtop rear frame legs where they meet the horizontals at the top - severed (cracked) right thru - both sdes.

- big holes and heavy bolts thru middle of hardtop (apparently from removed life raft canister) never restored.

- Captain's chair base socket - cracked open, seat top was like a bobble head toy, thought it was going to fall off when I reached for it to climb up the steps to the bridge. Grabed it thinking it was going to fall off pedestall - remind you, the owner sat in that chair!

- horizontal gouge in side of hull, at least 12 feet long, obvious mismatch gelcoat half azzed patch job.

- brown water line stains above bottom paint line, boat was not prepared for the sale - with simple cleaning chores. And I had an appointment to see boat

- dealer faxed me engine service records (at my request) one motor was showing rebuilt power head; "wristpins", etc. I was never told, the engine was rebuilt - when I confronted dealer, he said it was a warranty issue. The records showed the motor was taken apart more than once (ie. "LEMON")

This is what you call a sucker boat sale, if it says Grady, some sucker will buy it near the asking price, just because it says Grady.