SALAGED GRADYS

Pete Good

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 185
A local fellow buys Grady's fixes them up and sells them. They appear to be salvage usually out of Florida as indicated by the faded area where he's removed the numbers. The engine is usually newer than the boat, same with the trailer. He'll sell one and a few days later he has another. Does Florida issue salvage titles on boats. I'd like to know his pipeline...where he's acquiring them. Any input would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Pete

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
They could be hurricane damaged boats Through private owner or getting them from insurance salvages.

Reactions: Pete Good

seasick

Reaction score
Based on my research:

The Florida salvage title certificates issued by the state Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV) are a special type of vehicle titles that assign ownership of a damaged, destroyed, flooded or stolen vehicle. Note that the state DHSMV will issue car salvage certificates for vehicles declared total loss by both an insurance company and an uninsured or self-insured owner. The type of salvage title that will be issued will vary depending on whether or not the vehicle is repairable.

You will have the option of obtaining a rebuilt title in FL only if you are issued a rebuildable salvage title. In such cases, you can make the necessary repairs yourself or engage the services of a professional repairman for that purpose. Once your vehicle passes the necessary inspection procedure, you can then proceed with the titling and car registration procedures before driving it on public roads once again.

There is more info on the Florida DMV site.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
They may not be salvage boats...just simply Florida boats that have sat out in the sun and salt air.

I am also one that has found a number of good deals on Florida boats....they just need TLC.

Pete Good

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 185
They may not be salvage boats...just simply Florida boats that have sat out in the sun and salt air.

I am also one that has found a number of good deals on Florida boats....they just need TLC.
Thanks appreciate the clarification. Are there companies back there that specialize in storm damaged Gradys?

Pete Good

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 185
Where do you find them? Is it just a one at a time process? This fellow sells one and has another the following week, always under 21ft. Thanks for the info! Pete.

FLWhaler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Would love to know where he is getting them from? Need a few parts. A port side curved windshield mainly. for a 228 seafarer.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Gradys are yard yachts down here. I could see how someone could turn these around and sell them up north where they are more desirable. The problem is all the wood on the older models. A lot more work rehabbing a walk around compared to a CC and they are a PIA to rig.