Sally rebuild of a 2003 228

FLWhaler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Been several questions about the Sally rebuild. So I decides to start a thread showing the before after and during progress.
Pic 2.jpgPic 5.jpgPic 1.jpg
Here is how we started.
Next were off to have a trailer built. Never knew getting a trailer after a Hurricane would take an act of congress and nearly 4 weeks. had to borrow a trailer to get it to the trailer builder.
Finally off for a new trailer (2).jpg
Finally home in the drive way to remove the old low rider hard top so that the fiberglass repair can get started. Jeez those things are heavier than they look. had to cut up the fiberglass top just to manhandle removing the rest. But it's off
Getting topless (2).jpg
Finally a nice day to test the workings of the boat out before I start really pouring money into it. Went for a ride the day after Thanksgiving and everything worked nicely. Even stopped at a local seaside place for a grouper sandwich. To go of course with Covid social distancing is required but a nice day with good food to eat on a boat you just can't go wrong. Taken from the upstairs while waiting on the sandwiches. Overall everything checked out. even the electronics that were still intact got me home in a really bad fog that afternoon.
First test sea trial (2).jpg
So off comes the rest of the top so it can start the fiberglass repairs
Ready for fiberglass.jpg
While waiting for the fiber glassing to start decide to start buffing. There is a really good reason those detail boys charge what they charge. OUCH!!!
Buffing my arse off.jpg
Starting to look like a really nice boat. The seats you can somewhat see in the picture of the top coming off are cleaning up really nice though. did take some scrubbing as the boat had been neglected.
Seat cleaning time (2).jpg
Ok so its off to fiberglass next and need to order new decals where the fiberglass is being repaired but after that to odessa FL for the port side windshield and then to the tower place for a new hard top and finally a few new electronics.

I'll keep posting as it develops/ I know this is not as big a project as a transom replacement or a tank replacement but I feel like it's almost as pain staking tracking down all the pieces parts. Shout out to all the Grady owners who have pointed me in the right direction for finding the parts and tips for cleaning. Youra great bunch.

Reactions: waynenvabeach

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
So, was this your boat already before Sally, or did you purchase from someone after Sally??

Greyduk

Reaction score
FLW, Did the hardtop get crushed by getting up into the roof of the boathouse? Where was the boat when it rode out Sally (City)?

FLWhaler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yep water got up about 4’ higher than expected. Got squashed in the sling and broke the boat and eventually lift supports.

Greyduk

Reaction score
I see that your boat has a Florida registration, that is why I asked about the location. I have friends that have boats in Orange Beach Al. and the boat population there got destroyed. My friend has a nearly new Cobia 280 dual console that was in a marina with 22 other boats on lifts. His was the only one left when it was over. A couple of the boats were sunk in the marina area and the rest are just gone. A Geico claims adjuster told my friend that he was working 700 claims. I hope you are back up and running soon. Good luck.

FLWhaler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes Sally surprised us on the FL AL coast it was supposed to go in way west of here. Lots of salvage boats at a place in DeFuniak where insurance company’s are storing them. If someone had time money there are some nice project boats there.

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Sorry for the problems. Looks like you have the clean up well in hand. Final pics when done would be great. Good luck with the project - in the end you will be happy.

Jacktrop99

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Dang, That really sucks hopefully you will get it all buttoned up.

FLWhaler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Update number 2 step 2
The boat is back from fiberglass
BeforePic 1.jpg

AfterBack from repair.jpg

Decals have been ordered and received now the real fun begins. Removed the old name and started wet sanding and buffing. OUCH this is a young mans game.

port name before buffing and sanding.jpg
Starting to shine back up.jpg

Half way done though

Left side done right side to go.jpg
Next step 3
Sending the windshield frame off to have the glass put in and once it gets back and I put it on it off to have the hard top built. Hopefully they can build the hard to so that I can reuse my old curtains.

Fishtales

Reaction score
She is coming along very nicely. Stay at it!

mhinch

Reaction score
Good stuff right here.......Keep it up

FLWhaler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
48BD4430-1703-4420-AB73-5D7A0E58AAB9.jpeg4D87AC10-86AC-424A-A121-23E8093D4164.jpeg
fiberglass guy did a great job considering the amount of room he had to work with between the console and the windshield.

Fishtales

Reaction score
used cover? I initially thought rebuild, but the sticker looks to be older. either way, great work.

FLWhaler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yea had to abandon the old cover to much damage found a used dinged up cover and fiberglass guy sanded it all down and added the new Yamaha decal. Should have taken pics of the dings before but he still did a great job. Anyone need a split cowling

FLWhaler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Weekend update. Got old bolsters off an getting them reupholstered this week. Spent the afternoon buffing on the cabin area. 22C74B20-244E-4D5F-9391-F5B36BE6CFE2.jpeg

06_Grady_225

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 225
What did you end up using to clean up the seat cushions? I have some with stubborn mildew stains.

And, the bolsters / coaming pads have screws on the bottom, then with those undone, the pads lift off?

Looks like great progress! gonna look like a new boat!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Great that you could find a used cowling. She is coming along very nice.

FLWhaler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I scrubbed the seats with Walmart mildew remover. Let it sit for about 15-30 min and use a wash cloth and scrub like you mean it. The bolsters are tricky as the screws aren’t exactly where the grommets are. You really have to feel around and then try to line up the screw driver.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Yes. Kinda crazy way to mount them for a higher end boat line. Sailrite has some nice snaps that they recommend. Once you get the male and female mounted, it is a simple push and click to install or remove.