Salt vs fresh water

Slice o life

Reaction score
Good morning,
I am not sure if this would be the correct forum to post this question, I think the members here will have had the same decision to make.
I am looking to buy a used boat to run in Lake Ontario and lake Erie. I have found boats on the coast that have been in salt .but cannot find a freshwater only. Would you buy a saltwater used boat if it fit the bill?
Thank in advance.
Slice o life

seasick

Reaction score
A fresh water boat can be poorly maintained as can a salt water one. Condition should be more important that the water she was used in. That said, there is no doubt that salt water areas are harder on equipment and some brands don't hold up as well as others.
So would I consider a salt water boat for use in fresh water? Absolutely if the condition were good.
Also keep in mind that trailers used in salt water degrade a lot quicker and often the issues with them are hard to see.
A salt water boat will most likely have bottom paint and you may not want that. Although hulls can be restored to 'original' finish, the job can be extensive and expensive.
Sacrificial anodes including internal motor anode may need to be replaced. That's not a big deal but it is important to match your anode material to the waters.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The quality and maintenance level of a boat may be more important than the environment in which it has been used. A boat with good quality stainless steel designed to be used in a harsh environment will be preferable to a lower quality boat with a lot of aluminum that has been used in freshwater. Advantage of a boat used only in freshwater is primarily engine related.

Slice o life

Reaction score
The quality and maintenance level of a boat may be more important than the environment in which it has been used. A boat with good quality stainless steel designed to be used in a harsh environment will be preferable to a lower quality boat with a lot of aluminum that has been used in freshwater. Advantage of a boat used only in freshwater is primarily engine related.
Thanks for the information. I appreciate your help.
Slice o life,

Reactions: GH236

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I bought a saltwater boat back in 2017 with my eyes wide open to potential issues. It's taken some work but have no regrets with it. Had every option available for the 2004 year. Was it pristine when I bought it,,,, nope. Freshwater only Grady's are rare. A decently solid saltwater boat can be found. Mine lives in Kentucky, so freshwater life for the most part now. She's headed to Lake Erie next month, then back down to South Carolina after that. She still hits the saltwater on occasion and does well in both. She gets a good bath after the saltwater,,,, motor and both boat and trailer. Just find you a boat and have a survey done to find any issues and go from there.

Slice o life

Reaction score
Ky Grady,
I remember years ago we had a Grady dealer in Buffalo. Sadly not any longer. I appreciate your input. I have been looking and have found some in NJ but most seem to be from Fla. I will keep looking and definitely get a survey prior to finalizing the purchase.
thanks,
slicolife