Salt Water Washdown/Livewell pumps

Oceanbean

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My Grady uses the Shurflo Pro Blaster for both the SW washdown and live well. The manufacturer claims these pumps are for the harsh SW environment. The pumps work fine, but I can't get more than 3 seasons out of one before the motor cover corrodes away and it's shot. How does everyone else make out with their SW pumps?

Oceanbean
93 Explorer 245 VP DP

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I guess this doesn't answer the question, but I don't use my raw-water washdown in saltwater for the above stated reason.

seasick

Reaction score
Oceanbean said:
My Grady uses the Shurflo Pro Blaster for both the SW washdown and live well. The manufacturer claims these pumps are for the harsh SW environment. The pumps work fine, but I can't get more than 3 seasons out of one before the motor cover corrodes away and it's shot. How does everyone else make out with their SW pumps?

Oceanbean
93 Explorer 245 VP DP
I have ShurFlos in my 208 for SW and FW washfdown. They are about 6 years old and except for an occasional corroded wire connector, are in decent shape. They are high in the bilge and dont get very wet.
Maybe the older models hold up better.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ocean: I believe if you check the Shurflo website it will tell you that the Blaster is not a continuous duty pump, i.e., not appropriate for a livewell. I believe they recommend 15 minutes of use at a time for the Blaster.

Rob

busterblue

Reaction score
I'm changing mine out now and they appear to be original, 1989! But the pump is located in a very dry area alongside the midship livewell. I t burned out last summer when I left it on washdown and turned off the hose nozzle.

jfmagana

Reaction score
That sounds about right for a typical lifetime. I've got a collection of pumps in the garage that I've told myself I'll rebuild some rainy day (yeah, right). Looking at Shurflos website, it looks like you can buy virtually every part needed to rebuild them.

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
FWIW, I use these pumps onboard "RAINMAKER" http://www.anchorexpress.com/ProductDet ... 18660-0121
I have two aboard , one is for the factory livewell/washdown , and one for my livewell/washdown system . I have a 32 gallon circular tank that I put aboard for live baiting King Macks in the fall. I also use the pump for my washdown on my offshore trips throughout the year. Both of the pumps aboard lasted NINE years. Now they are both new.... :shock: Note to Crew seawater intake valves must be OPEN when pump switch is in the ON position :lol: ....... failure to have switches in the proper position leads to shortened pump life and excess cost to boat owner :lol:

Oceanbean

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

Good points about the ProBlaster is not rated for the livewell. It seems the ProBaitMaster is the pump for double duty, live well and washdown.
I'll replace my dead pump with that one and coat with the one of the better anti corrosion products, CRC 656 .

Thanks again,

Oceanbean
93 Explorer 245 VP DP