Saltwater Fishing Registry Question

Nemesis

Reaction score
I fish regularly in South Jersey waters and I understand that even though New Jersey does not have a requirement for a saltwater fishing license (yet) I still must register with NOAA. My question is....sometimes a neighbor, friend, work associtate or anyone who does not normally fish throughout the year may come one day with me for a day on the water fishing, do they need to register before they can fish?

Thanks

Bill

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
The HMS permit only covers the person named on the HMS permit.

NOAA Site said:
Please note that in the case of HMS angling permit holders, only the individual permit holder is exempt. Others fishing aboard the vessel will need to register.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Only the owner/operator needs the permit.

Moxsea

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
BAD NEWS, In New Jersey all saltwater anglers must register. Not required in NY because we get Boinged and pay for a license.

National Saltwater Angler registration is free in 2010. To register visit http://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov and click on the Angler Registry link, or call the toll-free registration line at 1-888-MRIP411 (1-888-674-7411) from 4:00 am to 12 midnight EST daily

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Just to clarify:

The NOAA/NMS HMS perimit covers the boat for fishing for highly mirgatory species. This have been around for a number of years.

In 2010 the HMS permit also covers the boats owner for the NOAA angler registration. It does not cover any of the other anglers on the boat. Each angler must register with NOAA if their state does not have a fishing license requirement.

In 2010 the angler reistration is free but next year there will be a charge. Sort of a if the State doesn't get you for a license the Fed will.

I'm assuming a private (non-charter) situation. It may be different on a head boat or 6-pack charter.

Nemesis

Reaction score
The question was rather rhetorical and I read it the way you do Hookup1 that all parties fishing need to register. So I need to register my wife, children over 16, and I must tell anyone who is coming down for the day they must go online and register. Second question, who is the enforcement agency Fish and Game, State Police, or since it is federal will it be the US Coast Guard, or all the above?

wanderer200

Reaction score
Everyone who fishes must register with noaa. If you have a saltwater liscence in one of the fifteen co-op states, a commercial liscence, or fish on a charter/party boat, your all set.
If you fish inland for migratory salt fish and don`t have a salt liscence, You also need to register.
They want a head count for everyone who fishes, and soon to follow will be catch reports.
At least they are making an attempt at better statistics. Their past data has been seriously flawed.

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
gwwannabe said:
I'm in VA and just looked at the countmyfish website. Looks like it applies to us, too. I was hoping we were one of the coop states.

Gary 89 Overnighter

I talked to a Marine Patrol Cop yesterday he said the Gen Asembly was supposed to get something done about it last year and should get to it this year. He also said his doesnt know if the boat fishing license will be around in 2011.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Went ahead and registered both myself and the skipper today. I know I didn't need to sign up myself since I hold an HMS permit but to avoid any confusion about the law with the Law...

Next year Ma will be an exempt state since it will institute it's own program. I called the Marine Fisheries Dept. on Friday and asked if I, as the boat owner, will be responsible to ensure everybody fishing from my vessel is licensed and I got a loud, clear and definitive "I don't Know."