Salty dogs and why I love this forum

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
RE: Docking:

Unfortunately, even if you have a system that works for you, your boat, and your docks, it's too hard to describe with the printed word. There are just too many variables each time you attempt it to rely on reading it or watching a clip of someone docking in dead-calm conditions that have nothing to do with your World.

I tried it awhile back for Russ, wrote something just shy of a novel, and realized afterwords that it would've been no help to him. You just have to grasp the basics, then go out and dock the boat fifty times. At some point, it becomes intuitive and you no longer second-guess your next move. You just do it.

This is a weird analogy, but it does dovetail. It's like learning to play drums to a click track, or metronome. Anyone can do it, you just have to put in the time until the click becomes your friend and not your enemy. Same with docking. Take a full day, pack a lunch and just dock the boat over and over and all of a sudden, it gets easier.
My sons Spanish teacher always reminded the class "Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.". In 1995 I bought a 29' Luhrs with twin diesels. At that time I had 15 years of bass fishing and boating experience on big lakes. First day out with the Luhrs and my boys I had a hell of a time getting the boat back in the slip with the current and crosswind - something I never experienced before. The boat salesman hooked me up with a delivery Captain named Charlie. First thing Captain Charlie did was put me in a crowded fairway. Showed my how to use both engines forward and reverse. About the transmission delay. From there he had me turn the boat around and balance my position in the fairway. And then in and out of the slip. Never had a problem after that. Captain Charlie taught me a few things in an hour that greatly accelerated my learning experience. Perfect practice makes perfect.

That being said I still find small outboard boats harder to deal with especially backing in. The bow responds to the wind much faster. Separation of engines isn't enough to rotate the bow. I'm sure it different for Marlin owners with heavier boats and wider beam. But I'm in a good place now with my bow thruster!