Salvage Boat-2007 Adventure

bhemi

Reaction score
This 2007 Grady White 20' 8" walkaround is fitted with a 2007 225 HP Yamaha outboard motor, both of which were partially submerged in December, 2008.

There is no physical damage to the hull or deck.

What would this be worth new? It sank in brackisg water and the engine was not pickled. It could probably be be bought for $10,000US. Would anyone take a chance? Can the engine be saved?

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Assume NOTHING but the hull is usable:
wiring
controlls
electronics
cushions
pumps
trim tabs (the actual tabs are OK)
is there any mold?

plus the labor to remove then install the above

I'd say $10K is too much for what you have to put back in it.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Grog is correct. The boat now carries the submerged/salvaged history, which I think would affect resale, as it would have to be disclosed to any potential buyers.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You have to assume the engine and everything else Yamaha is worthless, otherwise it's a crap shoot, better off going to the races.

$15-18K new motor / controls installed.

Boat needs total rewire and all elec incl. wipers, horn, fuel gauge, batteries, battery switches, power panel, and anything else the guys mentioned, compass, all new electronics/radio, for any peace of mind reliability.

Gas tank is filled with what now?

It's a DIY project boat, paying someone else to refurbish it doesn't pay, might as well buy an equipped 2007 that wasn't submerged, will be better deal, incl. remaining motor warranty.

How did the boat get submerged?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I would pay $10K for the boat, if it had a GOOD 2007 Yamaha F225 motor !

bhemi

Reaction score
Thanks

I'm going to see the boat on Friday morning and will find out more. The guy at the insurance company is not much help. I may be the only bidder. Many of our marinas here are in the Fraser River. It's tidal but the water is fresh enough that no one in the river gets bottom growth other than slime. No barnacles or mussels. We had a huge snow storm in December. Nearly 2 feet and frozen temperatures. I think that's what sunk it.

gw204

Reaction score
You also have to take into consideration the fact that water has now gotten to places that is was never supposed to. Grady uses a box-grid stringer system and once water gets in...it doesn't come out. Sure the core won't rot as it's that Greenwood XL rot-resistant stuff, but it will absorb moisture. Moisture will freeze and expand. Moisture will get to your new wiring. You see where I'm going with this?

I would bet my left arm that boat is SIGNIFICANTLY heavier than one that hasn't gone under. Therefore it will burn more fuel, will ride differently and have the salvage title to boot. You'll never be able to sell it...unless you are prepared to do a full (and I mean FULL...cap or deck off) rebuild...with pics to document. And at that point, the initial low purchase cost becomes irrelevant.

Run Forrest run...

seasick

Reaction score
bhemi said:
This 2007 Grady White 20' 8" walkaround is fitted with a 2007 225 HP Yamaha outboard motor, both of which were partially submerged in December, 2008.

There is no physical damage to the hull or deck.

What would this be worth new? It sank in brackisg water and the engine was not pickled. It could probably be be bought for $10,000US. Would anyone take a chance? Can the engine be saved?
I don't know aht partially submerged means for the motor. It was either under water or it wasn't
It's hard to teel the shape of the motor. The salinity of the water and the time submerged make a difference. Pull the cowl and take a look. It's probably toast but may be rebuildable.
If the patrtially submerged hull was submerged at the stern and not the helm, a lot of the wiring may be usuable. You need to look under the dash for water marks, corrosion or mold. Same goes for the hull. Open the access plate covers and take a good look. If the bilge was submerged, but not the cabin, ther hull may be recoverable also.
I also noticed that you mention a price in US dollars. Where are you and where is the boat? Be aware of scams.....

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If the boat saw 2 feet of snow and I doubt it was powder, that is A LOT of weight and she will go down for the count.

If you don't do a TOTAL redo you'll have gremlins for ever in that boat. If you're handy and have the time to devote maybe $5K with a trailer. The insurance company will try to get as much as possible so don't listen to them. That person may know a lot and be a snake or may not know jack, be careful.

Say you can get an '05 for about 35 (or less), why waste your time?

seasick

Reaction score
striped bass said:
bhemi:
Run don't walk away from this deal.

Guys,

Think about the boat model. It's an ADVENTURE!

bhemi

Reaction score
Thanks again

The boat is in Richmond, BC, Canada which is a suburb of Vancouver. If you fly into Vancouver you actually land on Lulu Island which is surrounded by the north and south arms of the Fraser River. The airport is part of Richmond. There are a lot of marinas in the river. The snow storm we had was 3 days non-stop of heavy wet snow. I was shoveling my walk every 3 hours just to keep up. I figure the scuppers froze up and the boat filled with wet snow and water and went down by the stern. I keep my boat in a boat shed and they had crews on around the clock shoveling the roofs because they thought the roofs would collapse.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
None of the parties are going to tell you anything, since you may come back later and say you got misled and screwed, which you could.
It's always condition as-is, where-is, no warranties, no refunds.

I bet someone did try to start and run the motor, perhaps an insider.
That would be a great advantage in bidding a price. Otherwise ad should read, "motor starts and runs".

For $5K AND if I already had a good motor, I'd take a chance.
If the motor doesn't turn out any good, sell it for $1200, lower unit alone is worth it. If the motor turns out good, sell it for market value.

Do all the restoration yourself, it will take months to get done, if you intend to restore to original condition, and keep boat.

If you try to sell it and not disclose history, you can be considered liable later. If you do dislose, the boat will be shunned unless severely cut in price vs. market, to get an interest. So te diea i sto keep it a long time and use it.

Reminds me of Katrina cars.

Camman

Reaction score
Even if you had the skill set to take this on as a personal project it will still be a money pit.

Take it from a former employee of GWB. Take your 10G and put it down on a new boat.