sanded through gelcoat

Bassman

Reaction score
I had to remove a underwater light that was mounted using only 5200 and sanded a small area of gelcoat away that is under the waterline and will covered by a new light, Is there a quick easy way to reseal the area that I sanded the gelcoat off the fiberglass?

Fishtales

Reaction score
There is a gelcoat touch up kit that matches exactly. See your local dealer for details or look at the Spectum catalog (i think they make it - could be wrong...).

eppem

Reaction score
Under the waterline? dont worry about the color matching? especially if the light will cover it or if the bottom is painted anyways? just use filler and wetsand it smooth????

dlevitt

Reaction score
If you have any 2 part barrier coat laying around, you may want to give that a shot. Since it is under the waterline, you just want to make sure that water can't get to the fiberglass under the gelcoat.

David

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
FYI...use acetone to break 5200 apart, put it in a water bottle and spray it along edges to break it down and slowly use a scraper to get under it and it will work apart over time. About the only chemical I know that will break it apart even after dried. 5200 is only needed for thru hull fittings, if your just sealing the light to thre hull 4200 is enough holding power as long as any hole for a wire through the hull uses 5200.

I would recommend the gelcote repair kits, they aren't too expensive, barrier coat is a good idea but if the paint around the area wears down water could seep in down the road, only complete fix is the repair kit. Covering that with barrier cote might be a good idea as well as opposed to putting the light directly on gel cote, might also make it easier to get off down the road if needed.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Your GW dealer has a premixed gelcoat repair that matches pretty closely to the original. Since your is below the waterline a shade or 2 off should not be a concern