Scammer in our midst

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A guy responded to a post of mine in "For Sale". I would hope that he can be blocked from the site. This is the post he made.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Always a best practice to check what posts the replier has made in the forum. If there message count is low and there is no substance to the replies, odds are a scammer has you in their sites.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
A guy responded to a post of mine in "For Sale". I would hope that he can be blocked from the site. This is the post he made.

Banned them Halfhitch. Scammer.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'm not seeing what the scam is. Was it PM's?

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm not seeing what the scam is. Was it PM's?
The guy wants me to communicate through a private email instead of through this site and then he tries to get you to send money to him. He doesn't have the items. He is replying to multiple "wanted" posters, always saying the person on the other end of that email has what you are looking for, when in fact he has nothing. Just hoping someone will be trusting and send money.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
could never understand how scammers make a living cruising web sites. Are there enough people that would fall for these scam? I would think it would be easier to get a job than cruising web sites looking for scamees. Buyer Beware!

Last edited:

Sauza45

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 271

Good thing is, it looks like the post was removed or blocked.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Always a best practice to check what posts the replier has made in the forum. If there message count is low and there is no substance to the replies, odds are a scammer has you in their sites.
On top of that, I always look at the date that the person joined. If they just joined today, and they've already got 5-10 messages on different WTB ads with email addresses to "their buddy" or someone else, you can almost guarantee that's a scammer. That is one of the biggest reasons why I have a secondary email address that I'll use or give out for similar situations if I don't know the person, or if I think it's possibly a scam. That way they don't have my primary email address and try to hack it, which is I believe what most of them are trying to do and so that they can get your personal or possibly financial information? That would be my bet, anyway.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
These guys that are convincing people to send money are low end thiefs. Barely amateurs.

Fraud and identity theft has gotten way more sophisticated. Today they are not hacking in - they convince you to let them in and frequently people do.

Basically the fraudsters have a little information about you possible from a data breach. Cell phone number, email address maybe a bank name. You get a call from a loan application, bank fraud department, credit card company, etc. that there is a problem. They review the situation and gain your confidence then offer to help you look into the problem. They have to authenticate you because they can't share any information without it. They will start by asking for birthday, last four of social security number, user-id, etc. IF YOU CALLED THEM THIS IS FAIR TO ASK FOR BUT IF THEY CALLED YOU HANG UP AND CALL YOUR COMPANY ON BACK OF CARD. What they are doing is resetting your password and logging into your account with your help.

Reactions: Halfhitch

Fishtales

Reaction score
Scammers and new scams seem to be on the rise via email, forums like this and phone. You have to almost expect it and then back off when it is demonstrated legit.

Sauza45

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 271
it’s so easy for them now that they get your info without you even knowing it. I got a call about an ATT account opening, they declined because the scanmmers didn’t have enough info. They best thing you can do is call all 3 credit company’s and put a freeze on you account. No one will
be able to open a new account with out the password you set.

Reactions: JJF

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I think PayPal with the fee or in person is pretty much the only safe ways to exchange items/$$$.

Anyone that is willing to do PayPal with the fee or in person is most likely a scammer.

For BIG $$$, not sure anymore what the best way is....

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I think PayPal with the fee or in person is pretty much the only safe ways to exchange items/$$$.

Anyone that is willing to do PayPal with the fee or in person is most likely a scammer.

For BIG $$$, not sure anymore what the best way is....
For "BIG $$$" transactions, I typically always do any dealings in person, through a broker or third party of some kind so that it next to eliminates any sort of scam or potential of fraud occurring. I also enjoy going through my credit union which is insured, and to where they will go after someone, or a company, if they did try to screw me over on a deal. If someone doesn't want to meet in person, that's a huge red flag, so is using some of the apps out there that don't have any sort of reimbursement over a fraudulent transaction. Luckily with my boat, the company I bought it from is actually a Grady White dealership, which I know doesn't really mean you're 100% in the clear as some of the GW dealers I've heard can be very difficult. But between that, talking with another member on here in person that had dealt with the same dealer, looking at their reviews online and so forth, it definitely put me more at ease than dealing with a private party.