Scandvik transom shower handle

Wild blue

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Has anyone been able to find a place to get the handle only for the transom shower, I’ll continue to search the web just thought I’d see if it was common knowledge, thank you in advance

Attachments

• IMG_6837.jpeg
    IMG_6837.jpeg
    211.3 KB · Views: 23

Fishtales

Reaction score
2 issues with them. The hose fitting is less than ideal. The hose can pop off if pressure is too high. They easily split during layup in cold weather. Be sure to run the antifreeze through it.

Wild blue

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I found that item, I was looking for the abs only piece, seems like a waste to just toss out a good head piece or put another one on the shelf,

seasick

Reaction score
you will have to buy the whole fixture. Shop around, they are not super expensive

Wild blue

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Just heard back from Scandvik customer support… they do not sell the handle individually. ‍♂️ it was worth a try, thank you to all for helping out.

Squidder

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Go to Lowes/Menards/Home Depot and look in the plumbing dept. I found a 4" chrome nipple for like $5. I did find the OEM replacement kit on Amazon, was about $80. Screw that.

Last edited:
Reactions: glacierbaze

Wild blue

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
That’s the tip I was looking for, thank you

Wild blue

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
So I was able to get a couple 6” shower nipples for a total of 13 buck! I’d say it even looks better not that it matters but the extra length on the handle is nice!

cheers!

Reactions: Squidder

seasick

Reaction score
Go to Lowes/Menards/Home Depot and look in the plumbing dept. I found a 4" chrome nipple for like $5. I did find the OEM replacement kit on Amazon, was about $80. Screw that.
I am curious as to whether the new handle leaks. Have you installed it yet?
The issue is the threads. The Scandvik as far as I know uses a somewhat odd version of NPS thread. If you got chrome pipe nipples at HD they would be NPT, tapered thread.

Last edited:

Squidder

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Still winterized, haven't tried it, but seems to fit nice and tight. Couple wraps of teflon tape would probably fix it if it did leak. Maybe Wild Blue can report his findings? Too cold up here to try it and not in the water at the moment.

seasick

Reaction score
Still winterized, haven't tried it, but seems to fit nice and tight. Couple wraps of teflon tape would probably fix it if it did leak. Maybe Wild Blue can report his findings? Too cold up here to try it and not in the water at the moment.
Teflon tape generally will not make a tighter seal if the fittings are NPS. NPS connections require a flat washer to seal.
Where you can get away from the issue is when the female side is NPT and the male side in NPS since the taper of the female side can squeeze the male nipple. If the fittings have NPS threads and bottom out when tightening, without a flat rubber washer, the connection often will leak.
Hopefully it all works out in your case

Fishtales

Reaction score
Take some pics and share results.

Wild blue

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Here is a pic of mine with a 4” shower extension, this is under pressure, no issues threading it in and sealing

Attachments

• IMG_6870.jpeg
    IMG_6870.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21

seasick

Reaction score
Here is a pic of mine with a 4” shower extension, this is under pressure, no issues threading it in and sealing
Did you use washers or tape/sealant for the connections?

Wild blue

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Did you use washers or tape/sealant for the connections?
The original had gasket washers so I reused them, hand tight like a garden hose. I did add a little TFE paste but more as an anti seize just in case. So far it works great for a rinsing my reels and down riggers