Scotty downrigger mounting advice.

Teaserhead

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Hi all. Happy to be here! I just bought my first GW, she’s a 93 2008 Adventure. I’m a sport fisherman, mainly around the San Juans, and Vancouver Island, and have owned many boats before this one. The boat I just bought is pretty bare bones as far as being rigged for any type of fishing, so he first thing I need to do is get a pair of Scotty downrigger’s mounted. I don’t want to go with the gimbal mounts in the recessed rod holders. I want to hard mount riggers on top of the skinny to me gunnels. Any pics or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA, and again, great to be here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gladius

Dboardfox

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Mine were mounted on the back corner by previous owner. Not what I would have done but stuck with it now. If I set them up I would have mounted them forward just behind the mid gunnel rod holder.

Don Davis

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here’s where mine are located on my Seafarer, I fish all around Vancouver Island.

Attachments

• 8436C433-9C67-4E37-BAD7-E1E5C3E7968F.jpeg
    8436C433-9C67-4E37-BAD7-E1E5C3E7968F.jpeg
    481.7 KB · Views: 132
Reactions: Teaserhead

Dboardfox

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Don has the correct location.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes I have the same as Don, with a 1/4 inch aluminium backing plate under the gunnels.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Any reason why you don’t like the gimbal type of downrigger mounts? Besides being a bit on the spendy side, the Burnewiin brand downrigger mounts that I bought are an absolutely fantastic addition to my boat, which is a 2004 Grady White 228 Seafarer. They aren’t cheap, as stated above, but imo they look much nicer than the cheap black plastic Scotty downriver mounts, the downrigger can be removed with one pull of the side tab and if you’re crawling in or out of the boat then you won’t smack your knees or legs like you would on the Scotty mounts. I know they’re not in everyone’s price range or budget, but after installing mine, I wouldn’t go back to using the Scotty mounts again as they give the boat a nice, clean, almost stock looking appearance. With regards to wiring them, I’m not sure how the 208 Adventure is set up, but I mounted the electrical outlets between the rod holders on each side of the boat. Which keeps them out of the elements and if you weren’t paying attention you probably wouldn’t even notice they were there. I’m at my beach cabin on Whidbey Island currently without any Wi-Fi but when I get back into town I’ll upload a few pictures so you can see. Good luck!

Teaserhead

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Any reason why you don’t like the gimbal type of downrigger mounts? Besides being a bit on the spendy side, the Burnewiin brand downrigger mounts that I bought are an absolutely fantastic addition to my boat, which is a 2004 Grady White 228 Seafarer. They aren’t cheap, as stated above, but imo they look much nicer than the cheap black plastic Scotty downriver mounts, the downrigger can be removed with one pull of the side tab and if you’re crawling in or out of the boat then you won’t smack your knees or legs like you would on the Scotty mounts. I know they’re not in everyone’s price range or budget, but after installing mine, I wouldn’t go back to using the Scotty mounts again as they give the boat a nice, clean, almost stock looking appearance. With regards to wiring them, I’m not sure how the 208 Adventure is set up, but I mounted the electrical outlets between the rod holders on each side of the boat. Which keeps them out of the elements and if you weren’t paying attention you probably wouldn’t even notice they were there. I’m at my beach cabin on Whidbey Island currently without any Wi-Fi but when I get back into town I’ll upload a few pictures so you can see. Good luck!
Thanks for that Mustang! I havent mounted my riggers yet and will deff look those mounts up. Never heard of them. some pics when you get a chance, would be appreciated.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for that Mustang! I havent mounted my riggers yet and will deff look those mounts up. Never heard of them. some pics when you get a chance, would be appreciated.
I think the Burnewiin mounts look "similar" to the standard Grady White gunwale mounted rod holders but definitely a bit larger and slightly more aggressive looking. In the first picture you can see the tab on the left of the Burnewiin mount and you simply slide that back and the entire downrigger/downrrigger plate that's shown in the second, third and fourth pictures just slides out. I like that design much more than leaving the black plastic Scotty downrigger mounts in place the entire time and having to use the long hex head black plastic screw to mount the Scotty downrigger to the standard base plates. Plus as mentioned above, you won't smack your knees/shins getting in and out of the boat with the Burnewiin mounts. They're not cheap, but I love them and they'll only increase the value of the boat imo. Finally, for the Scotty electrical outlets... I put the paper templates between the two vertical rod holders and drilled the holes for them in that location. Then wired them up that way, which I think keeps the electrical outlets out of the elements as much as possible while also cutting into starboard as opposed to fiberglass. They also tuck away pretty nicely and if you weren't paying attention, you probably wouldn't notice them where they are. Good luck and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Grady White Burnewiin.jpegGrady White Downrigger Mount.jpegGrady White Downrigger.jpegGrady White Downriggers Installed.jpeg73DC5A12-AF7A-46EE-9B8B-2A9AB5B693BF.jpeg

Last edited:

Teaserhead

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I think the Burnewiin mounts look "similar" to the standard Grady White gunwale mounted rod holders but definitely a bit larger and slightly more aggressive looking. In the first picture you can see the tab on the left of the Burnewiin mount and you simply slide that back and the entire downrigger/downrrigger plate that's shown in the second, third and fourth pictures just slides out. I like that design much more than leaving the black plastic Scotty downrigger mounts in place the entire time and having to use the long hex head black plastic screw to mount the Scotty downrigger to the standard base plates. Plus as mentioned above, you won't smack your knees/shins getting in and out of the boat with the Burnewiin mounts. They're not cheap, but I love them and they'll only increase the value of the boat imo. Finally, for the Scotty electrical outlets... I put the paper templates between the two vertical rod holders and drilled the holes for them in that location. Then wired them up that way, which I think keeps the electrical outlets out of the elements as much as possible while also cutting into starboard as opposed to fiberglass. They also tuck away pretty nicely and if you weren't paying attention, you probably wouldn't notice them where they are. Good luck and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

View attachment 26032View attachment 26033View attachment 26034View attachment 26035View attachment 26036
Nice. Thanks for the pics. I will stay in touch. I’ll probably have more questions!

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Teaserhead

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Mustang, I’m really leaning towards the Burnewiin‘s, but would really like to see them on a boat, with riggers attached. Just to see how well they work. How solid they feel. I see Fishery’s has all the parts, and really, not bad priced if they work well. I’m WSF deckhand,and I work Muckeltio-Clinton. I’m Clinton-F watch. Do you ever have your rig on the ferry? Thanks

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Mustang, I’m really leaning towards the Burnewiin‘s, but would really like to see them on a boat, with riggers attached. Just to see how well they work. How solid they feel. I see Fishery’s has all the parts, and really, not bad priced if they work well. I’m WSF deckhand,and I work Muckeltio-Clinton. I’m Clinton-F watch. Do you ever have your rig on the ferry? Thanks
My parents and I have a beach cabin on Whidbey Island where I store the boat pretty much year round and then I live in the Marysville area, so I rarely take it across on the ferry boat. I bought the Burnewiin mounts from Harbor Marine in Everett so either them, Bayside Marine or Jacobsen's in Edmonds I believe all sell them and might have a boat you could look at with them on there. If my boat was at my house then I'd say sure, but it's at our cabin and I'm not exactly sure when I'll be going up there next.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Jacobsen's in Edmonds has this boat for sale which if you look at picture # 14 that it looks like it has the Burnewiin brand mounts installed towards the rear of the boat. Not sure if they have the downriggers as well on top of that, but it should give you a good idea about what to expect. And Jacobsen's is also a dealer for Burnewiin so they might have another boat that has them installed with the downriggers already attached. I've been in there a few times before to just casually look and see what they have in the showroom and they've always been pretty nice.

Teaserhead

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Jacobsen's in Edmonds has this boat for sale which if you look at picture # 14 that it looks like it has the Burnewiin brand mounts installed towards the rear of the boat. Not sure if they have the downriggers as well on top of that, but it should give you a good idea about what to expect. And Jacobsen's is also a dealer for Burnewiin so they might have another boat that has them installed with the downriggers already attached. I've been in there a few times before to just casually look and see what they have in the showroom and they've always been pretty nice.

Your right. Pic #14 deff shows those mounts. Shoot, I was just there, casually looking around myself. I’ll have to go back. On a different subject, and if you can’t help me , I’ll have to start another thread….. do you know of a site where I can find original looking pennant decals? The boat is titled as a Adventure, there is a logo on the dash that says it’s an Adventure, but the pennant decal calls it a Overnighter. That needs to be changed out. I want a Adventure, not a Overnighter! TIA

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Your right. Pic #14 deff shows those mounts. Shoot, I was just there, casually looking around myself. I’ll have to go back. On a different subject, and if you can’t help me , I’ll have to start another thread….. do you know of a site where I can find original looking pennant decals? The boat is titled as a Adventure, there is a logo on the dash that says it’s an Adventure, but the pennant decal calls it a Overnighter. That needs to be changed out. I want a Adventure, not a Overnighter! TIA
I'm not exactly sure to be honest but I'd maybe start by checking out boat decal websites on Google or check with Jacobsen's as well and see if they have any recommendations.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Don has the perfect location. I mounted mine too close to the rear rod holder to use it w/ DRs. I'm pretty serious about fishing though so don't think Scottys look bad. I have a system that locks mine on for thieves as well. Those gimbal mounts are easy to steal as well.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Don has the perfect location. I mounted mine too close to the rear rod holder to use it w/ DRs. I'm pretty serious about fishing though so don't think Scottys look bad. I have a system that locks mine on for thieves as well. Those gimbal mounts are easy to steal as well.
The only issue with the down rigger mounts being installed where they are on his boat is for when older people that aren''t flexible are trying to climb in or out of the boat. My parents and uncle are all in their early 70's and trying to have them climb from the row boat into my 228 Seafarer with the downriggers mounted there wouldn't be very easy for them. It's not as bad when you're at a dock and trying to climb in as you have the height and leverage of just stepping up or stepping down, but from a shorter boat to a taller one you usually have to throw a leg up over the side. And I think just about anything "could" be stolen, within reason. I don't leave my Scotty downriggers out but if someone had a window punch and/or a screwdriver I'm sure they could get into one's cabin, their upper/lower electronics boxes and so forth.

Teaserhead

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I’m going with the Burnewiin inserts. I bought them from Fishery’s Supply through a boat builder friend of mine and that saved me 30%. The gunnels are just too narrow to accommodate the Scotty base plates for me. And backing plates for the Scotty mounts would have been a pia. The fit and finish of the Burnewiin’s is sweet. They are all Jacobsons use, when they install rigger mounts. Im going to drill new holes to accommodate the new inserts around 40 inches from the outside of the transom. I don’t want the riggers too close to the back corner because of the storage areas back there getting in my way. id like to change out the back corner Lee insert, to a aft facing 30 degree Lee, that I can use in conjunction with the rigger when I want to stack gear. I take my riggers off when im not using them, so theft isn’t an issue for me. I’ll mount the plug-ins in the back rod holders under the gunnels just like Mustang’s. I’ll post pics when I’m done. Any thoughts and comments will be much appreciated, as I haven’t started the project yet. The goal is to have the boat ready for fishing WCVI August 1. Other projects that are already done, is new stainless thru hulls all around, new bilge and raw water pumps and hoses, and also I glassed in a floor in the anchor locker, and installed a drain so no no more anchor gurry will drain into the bilge anymore.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’m going with the Burnewiin inserts. I bought them from Fishery’s Supply through a boat builder friend of mine and that saved me 30%. The gunnels are just too narrow to accommodate the Scotty base plates for me. And backing plates for the Scotty mounts would have been a pia. The fit and finish of the Burnewiin’s is sweet. They are all Jacobsons use, when they install rigger mounts. Im going to drill new holes to accommodate the new inserts around 40 inches from the outside of the transom. I don’t want the riggers too close to the back corner because of the storage areas back there getting in my way. id like to change out the back corner Lee insert, to a aft facing 30 degree Lee, that I can use in conjunction with the rigger when I want to stack gear. I take my riggers off when im not using them, so theft isn’t an issue for me. I’ll mount the plug-ins in the back rod holders under the gunnels just like Mustang’s. I’ll post pics when I’m done. Any thoughts and comments will be much appreciated, as I haven’t started the project yet. The goal is to have the boat ready for fishing WCVI August 1. Other projects that are already done, is new stainless thru hulls all around, new bilge and raw water pumps and hoses, and also I glassed in a floor in the anchor locker, and installed a drain so no no more anchor gurry will drain into the bilge anymore.
Dang, I'm definitely a bit jealous on you being able to get 30% off of the Burnewiin mounts as they definitely aren't cheap. Unless you want to drill more holes into the gunwales or need more rod holders, I just removed the rear Grady White rod holders, enlarged the holes slightly, drilled one more hole for the 4th bolt as the old ones only had 3, and essentially installed the Burnewiin mounts in place of where the old ones were. Imo, it gives it a nice, clean, almost stock look to the boat to where the entire gunwale isn't covered with rod holders. Again, if you don't care, or if you want the extra rod holders then you can always mount the Burnewiin mounts a foot or so forward of the rear GW rod holders. I didn't need anything more than what I currently have as I rarely fish with more than 4-5 people and don't ever foresee when I'd need to use something like that. The current placement for the Burnewiin mounts isn't 100% perfect but it is a great compromise as I didn't feel like drilling 5 new holes on each side of my new to me boat at the time, and still wouldn't want to do that today. I'm almost 300 lbs and still have plenty of room to room back where my downriggers are installed without any problem. Anyway, just something to consider and I believe that's how Jacobsen's installs them on their boats that they sell as well. Good luck and keep us posted!