Scotty downrigger mounting advice.

84grady197

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Teaser,

for what it’s worth I put tracks on mine for salmon fishing Lake Ontario. Mounted fairly easily on my 84 tournament. I debated using the gimbal mount. I will say I am so happy with the tracks. A 48” fit perfectly, covered both holes from the existing gimbals. I have the flexibility to move downriggers around as well as add rod holders where ever needed.

good luck!

Attachments

• 0CF134D1-E472-43EF-B36E-5B82630B95E4.jpeg
    0CF134D1-E472-43EF-B36E-5B82630B95E4.jpeg
    586.4 KB · Views: 26

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’m going with the Burnewiin inserts. I bought them from Fishery’s Supply through a boat builder friend of mine and that saved me 30%. The gunnels are just too narrow to accommodate the Scotty base plates for me. And backing plates for the Scotty mounts would have been a pia. The fit and finish of the Burnewiin’s is sweet. They are all Jacobsons use, when they install rigger mounts. Im going to drill new holes to accommodate the new inserts around 40 inches from the outside of the transom. I don’t want the riggers too close to the back corner because of the storage areas back there getting in my way. id like to change out the back corner Lee insert, to a aft facing 30 degree Lee, that I can use in conjunction with the rigger when I want to stack gear. I take my riggers off when im not using them, so theft isn’t an issue for me. I’ll mount the plug-ins in the back rod holders under the gunnels just like Mustang’s. I’ll post pics when I’m done. Any thoughts and comments will be much appreciated, as I haven’t started the project yet. The goal is to have the boat ready for fishing WCVI August 1. Other projects that are already done, is new stainless thru hulls all around, new bilge and raw water pumps and hoses, and also I glassed in a floor in the anchor locker, and installed a drain so no no more anchor gurry will drain into the bilge anymore.
How are the new mounts coming along?

Teaserhead

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
How are the new mounts coming along?
Hi Mustang
The install went great, and I couldn’t be happier with the end result. Riggers feel solid in place, and they look great even without riggers! I actually haven’t had a chance to use them yet, even though WDFW has given us a cpl xtra wknds in area 7 to fish. Ferry life is keeping me busy, and now I’m dealing with the fn ronna. I’m not computer savy enough to figure out how to post pics, sorry. thanks so much for the advice, I never knew Burnewiin existed till you mentioned them. Now I’m busy planning the next round of improvements on the boat. She’s coming together nicely. Tight lines.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi Mustang
The install went great, and I couldn’t be happier with the end result. Riggers feel solid in place, and they look great even without riggers! I actually haven’t had a chance to use them yet, even though WDFW has given us a cpl xtra wknds in area 7 to fish. Ferry life is keeping me busy, and now I’m dealing with the fn ronna. I’m not computer savy enough to figure out how to post pics, sorry. thanks so much for the advice, I never knew Burnewiin existed till you mentioned them. Now I’m busy planning the next round of improvements on the boat. She’s coming together nicely. Tight lines.
Feel better soon! Glad to hear everything went well with the install. As far as adding pictures, click on “Attach files” just below and to the left of where you’re typing up your response and you should be good to go.

Reactions: Teaserhead

Teaserhead

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Feel better soon! Glad to hear everything went well with the install. As far as adding pictures, click on “Attach files” just below and to the left of where you’re typing up your response and you should be good to go.
thanks for that Mustang. I’ll give it a shot.

jjack5150

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I would buy and mount the Burnewiin. The Scotties work fine, but I can’t count the number of times I’ve lost a mount (thumb screw) overboard. Burnewiin are worth the extra. Mount holes don’t line up with the holes for my Scotties.

Attachments

• 0EA5E3AF-D00A-4E30-8873-AFB2635C800D.jpeg
    0EA5E3AF-D00A-4E30-8873-AFB2635C800D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • E2268EF9-9D5E-454D-8D33-82C3BA2752EE.jpeg
    E2268EF9-9D5E-454D-8D33-82C3BA2752EE.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 3919C86E-0974-489D-BBFB-8BCC05C9571D.jpeg
    3919C86E-0974-489D-BBFB-8BCC05C9571D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I would buy and mount the Burnewiin. The Scotties work fine, but I can’t count the number of times I’ve lost a mount (thumb screw) overboard. Burnewiin are worth the extra. Mount holes don’t line up with the holes for my Scotties.
I was fortunate that the previous owner of my boat hadn't installed any downriggers on the boat yet, so there weren't any of the black, plastic, Scotty base plates on there yet, and more importantly no holes had been drilled. I took out the old flush gunwale rod holders and reinstalled the Burnewiin's in their place. The bolt pattern wasn't perfect, and I did have to drill one more hole for the fourth bolt but the Burnewiin mounts cover up any evidence of the old rod holders and I think they look great. Almost like something from the factory, or original, but on steroids.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Those Burnwiin mounts look very nice. I've seen some folks using the mounts that drop into an existing rod holder. If ever doing that, make sure you look at the pin inside the rod holder. The GW one looks to be a rivet which doesn't look like it would hold up under stress.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Those Burnwiin mounts look very nice. I've seen some folks using the mounts that drop into an existing rod holder. If ever doing that, make sure you look at the pin inside the rod holder. The GW one looks to be a rivet which doesn't look like it would hold up under stress.
I love the look of the Burnewiin mounts over the Scotty brand. As stated above, they aren't cheap but they do offer a cheaper version that is plastic compared to the stainless steel ones. They're just over $100 cheaper at $55 a piece, though I like the stainless steel look much more than the black plastic.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
I love the look of the Burnewiin mounts over the Scotty brand. As stated above, they aren't cheap but they do offer a cheaper version that is plastic compared to the stainless steel ones. They're just over $100 cheaper at $55 a piece, though I like the stainless steel look much more than the black plastic.

I'll have to take pictures of mine and post them, unfortunately, the previous owner did some odd and questionable things with the DR mount and other mounts on the gunnel.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'll have to take pictures of mine and post them, unfortunately, the previous owner did some odd and questionable things with the DR mount and other mounts on the gunnel.
As much as I like to essentially get things for free or with the purchase of the boat when buying it, in this case I actually wasn't too disappointed when the boat didn't come with downriggers. After going with the Burnewiin mounts, I don't think that I'd ever go back to using the black, plastic blocks that come with the Scotty downriggers. I'm sure that most people don't really care, but I do and as stated before, it's kind of a pain to disassemble the Scotty's every time, especially when you have people crawling over the side of your boat into a dinghy. At the dock when you're standing and it's level then it is a different story, but with older parents and other family members that aren't as flexible, it's frustrating enough getting into the boat as is without smacking your knees or shins on the mounts. And yes, please post the pictures, I'm curious now about what they did.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
As much as I like to essentially get things for free or with the purchase of the boat when buying it, in this case I actually wasn't too disappointed when the boat didn't come with downriggers. After going with the Burnewiin mounts, I don't think that I'd ever go back to using the black, plastic blocks that come with the Scotty downriggers. I'm sure that most people don't really care, but I do and as stated before, it's kind of a pain to disassemble the Scotty's every time, especially when you have people crawling over the side of your boat into a dinghy. At the dock when you're standing and it's level then it is a different story, but with older parents and other family members that aren't as flexible, it's frustrating enough getting into the boat as is without smacking your knees or shins on the mounts. And yes, please post the pictures, I'm curious now about what they did.

Attachments

• 20230121_144117.jpg
    20230121_144117.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • 20230121_144112.jpg
    20230121_144112.jpg
    883.7 KB · Views: 14

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
You can see the previous owner added some sort of support brace underneath. Also added a couple of random scotty mounts. Going tto have to figure out a way to clean that up. It's odd though he didn't add to random mounts on the starboard side.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You can see the previous owner added some sort of support brace underneath. Also added a couple of random scotty mounts. Going tto have to figure out a way to clean that up. It's odd though he didn't add to random mounts on the starboard side.
I'm thinking that the reason the mounts are only on the port side of the boat is probably because the previous owner of the boat did a lot of solo fishing. That would make sense to me as it is much easier to watch the fishing poles on the port side while driving as opposed to trying to watch them behind you on the starboard side. I remember calling up GW and asking them about the extra bracing or adding a support plate underneath when I installed my Burnewiin mounts and they said that it was ok to add but not necessary. I figured for an extra $16 per side, that I might as well add the backing plates and not have any potential issues, as well as better peace of mind.

Saltyone

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Makes sense on the port side, but being an express with center helm, wouldn't think it would matter. But haven't fished in mine yet, so I'll have to see.