scupper deck fitting replacement - 2005 282 Sailfish

fishlips

Reaction score
The port side scupper plastic deck flange/tube fitting has corroded. The flange has completed separated from the tube that fits into flex hose on one of the scuppers and the other is about 50% corroded around the circumference of the tube. Access thru the storage compartment and removal of the drop-in box seems like a difficult reach. I'm thinking that I'll need to remove the deck cover plate over the fuel tank to gain decent access. The two starboard side scupper deck fittings are currently intact, but I'm assuming they will corrode through at some point also. Interested if anyone else has experienced this problem and how you gained access to replace the deck fittings.

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I’ve replaced all my scupper fittings and hoses on a marlin 28. I had to add Two 8” access panels right over the scuppers. Big job and you will use a hammer and chisel. There is no other way to access the scuppers. I am about to do this also on a 268 islander. Order pets form TH marine or call Grady and they will give you part numbers.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Sounds about right. You may get to the port side thru the trash receptacle opening and pulling the battery switch selector panel out. The starboard side is a bitch and you'll likely need to cut a hatch. I like the access that efx did. Maybe this in the long run is the best. Efx, can you show a pic or describe the panels you installed?

Richard1572

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I’ve replaced all my scupper fittings and hoses on a marlin 28. I had to add Two 8” access panels right over the scuppers. Big job and you will use a hammer and chisel. There is no other way to access the scuppers. I am about to do this also on a 268 islander. Order pets form TH marine or call Grady and they will give you part numbers.
Any chance you have pics of the access hatches you cut? I need to replace mine as the thru hulls are in the water since I have repowered with 4 strokes.

Reactions: Iceman2010

Boosted1

Reaction score
I was able to get to my starboard scuppers after I cut this access port in behind the door. Definitely a challenge but to me it was worth it so I didn’t have to cut the deck.

Attachments

• 1A59C1E9-EE95-42C4-ACD9-AF995DBD94B4.jpeg
    1A59C1E9-EE95-42C4-ACD9-AF995DBD94B4.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 19

Fishtales

Reaction score
That is the way to do it if you can. The inspection port is vertical which I believe is better. Ensure you use the screw in deck ports vs the pop ins.

ItalianAngler

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The guys at my marina managed it with no cutting, they moved the batteries out of the way and a guy crawled in there, unbelievable but i gotta hand it to them. They did give me a hard time on it afterwards because i only use them for the knuckle bleeding jobs. i said if it was easy one i'd do it myself!!!

I could only find the cockpit drains straight from grady and they killed me on them, so if you can find elsewhere i would, i think the dealer charged something like 28 bucks a piece.

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
The 28 Marlin seems to be different from sailfish. If you can pull the port storage box and see the hoses and scuppers then you should be able ( maybe) to replace them without a new horizontal access panel in the swim platform deck.

For my 28 Marlin, I placed the centerpoint of the 8.5" deck plate directly above the thru hull / scuppers. This placed the startboard plate on the swim platform /transom area right aft of the transom /tuna door and then the port was aligned directly with that which also was directly over the port scuppers. The port pate was put on the flat spot where the swim ladder laid into. It was a perfect place for both of them and they stayed dry and give clear access to slide the new hoses on.

Fishtales

Reaction score
You should be able to do the port on the Marlin without a cut. The starboard is the issue. The two location for cuts that I've seen are the floor near the drains or the vertical wall as you exit the transom door. The latter seems like the better place if you have to cut.

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Just so I'm not confused , as I'll be doing this job in the next month or so. On a sailfish the port side can be done without adding an access hole. I would have to remove the panel with the battery switches tho correct? Thanks again!

Kevin Hawes

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I looked on my 248 Voyager and my battery compartment walls go to deck height so no way to get the starboard side on mine, my port side I was able to fit down into the dry storage/ice box after just lifting out the bin