Scupper drain hose

dadsgirl

Reaction score
While winterizing our 1988 228g, I discovered that the hoses from the floor drains to the transom scuppers need to be replaced. Does anyone know the I.D of these hoses and are they made of something special since they seem to be wire wrapped. Thanks for the input.

uncljohn

Reaction score
I got replacements at West Marine, I used fuel-rated wire-reinforced line. Black hose w/ red writing. Same hose I used to replace my fuel fill line. Couldn't find it on West online.

cgmiller

Reaction score
Dadsgirl,

I would be interested to hear how you make out. I just bought a 1990 Gulfstream and all the hoses are original and probably should be replaced in the near future. Last year I replaced similar hoses on a 1988 21 Mako that I had..Mako used different hose..it was the heavy wall white PVC hose. The original hoses were in OK shape, but they were original and 21 years old. I had cut in a nice size opening hatch on that boat...the Gulfstream does not have real good access unless I remove the rear panel...so the job is going to be a PIA...good luck!

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Be very, very sure you need to replace the hose. Should you break a cockpit drain fitting, they are no longer in production ... :sorry

toolguy73

Reaction score
Curmudgeon said:
Be very, very sure you need to replace the hose. Should you break a cockpit drain fitting, they are no longer in production ... :sorry

That's true, but whirlpool tub drains work quite well. Get the bronze ones.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Looked at those, but couldn't find a two-piece with 90* elbow ... :uhm

Got Grady?

Reaction score
By the sea by the sea by the beaut.......
I replaced mine not long ago. He is right about thru hulls and drains breaking but water coming in from those hoses is bad news too. Mine were leaking pretty good due to the rusted out wire inside the hose. I had to remove the livewell hose to get the port scupper hose out and it broke the thru hull and broke off at the livewell. Luckily the floor drains seem to be in better shape. Good luck!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Use the reinforced hoses, perfect selection is a SW or fuel fill line, 1.5 inch, as was said.

White vinly looks pretty but are sanitation hose that are NOT reinforced. if you want to use sanitaion hoses use the black ones since they are reinforced.

dadsgirl

Reaction score
Thanks, the only reason I want them replaced is that I think the reinforcement wire is rusted. Our boat spends all of it's time in a slip and I don't need a problem there or worse yet 20 miles offshore!

richie rich

Reaction score
If the wire is rusting, then the hose is comprimised...changing the hose is prudent. you'll get another 15 years out of the new ones just be careful with your fittings to keep them whole as noted

cgmiller

Reaction score
The rinforcing wire in the hose prevents the hose from kinking when you bend it like the standard nylon reinforced rubber hose. The white PVC hose would kink too if put in too tight a bend, which I did not have to do on my Mako as it had a 90 degree elbow under the deck. I have not been able to see under the deck of my 23 Gulstream yet....that will be a spring project...since she will be in the slip all the time, I want to know that the scupper hoses are in good shape...

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I need to offer a clarification -

The rubber hoses are plyed (sp plied?) like car tires and have fabric reinforcements, not the case with white vinyl sanitation hoses.

For shape, different methods are used to keep hose from collapsing, wire and non-metallic equivalents which the vinly hoses have. Not all hoses have them.

Don't think white vinyl are plyed though.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bringing this to the top. Everyone's always complaining about how hard it is to remove the old hoses. Guy in my marina just replaced his and used a heat gun at the fittings. Said they slid right off. Didn't see him do it strickly hear-say. FWIW

toolguy73

Reaction score
Curmudgeon said:
Looked at those, but couldn't find a two-piece with 90* elbow ... :uhm

Look here, then open the parts list. the exploded view shows all;

http://www.gerberonline.com/Catalog.asp ... temID=3939

These fit right into the openings for the original drains. They make a quick 90 deg turn. They have the strainer on top (replace every 2 years.) The 1 1/2" hose fits nicely on the tail piece. Buy SS screws to hold the strainer in place.

toolguy73

Reaction score
Tucker said:
Bringing this to the top. Everyone's always complaining about how hard it is to remove the old hoses. Guy in my marina just replaced his and used a heat gun at the fittings. Said they slid right off. Didn't see him do it strickly hear-say. FWIW

That only worked for me on one of the four connections. And the hoses were smoking.

For the other three, I razor-knifed the hose, then cut the wire loops with a good pair of side cutters. Once that wire tension was released, they damn near fell off.