Scupper Hose Replacement 272

ahill

Reaction score
I know there have been a number of topics on this.
Port is easy as I already cut in an access panel below the livewell plus the livewell can be removed.
I'll have to cut an access panel probably thru the deck for starboard.
Has anyone done this?
How did you do it and do you have any pics?

Winged Pig

Reaction score
I was looking at mine the other day and it appeared as though a long skinny arm might reach from the rear access hatch to the scuppers. I can see the one closest to the centerline between the painted plywood frame. It looks like it might be possible, but I'm not looking forward to having to do it. I'll be interested in learning how you accomplish this.

Winged Pig

Reaction score
I would think that with a little care, and a sharp knife/razor blade, one could simply cut the old hose off the barb. Then with a little boiling water to swell the ends, the new hose could be fitted onto the barbs. Again, I have not done this, but I have noticed the amount of room that my boat appears to have to be able to access the scuppers. I think I would have to at least try this method before I cut the floor.

Just my .02 cents, and I am still interested in seeing how you end up doing this.

ahill

Reaction score
Those are tried & true methods under reasonable access.
Try reaching the the 4 points of contact on a 1998 Sailfish or later please, then give me your thoughts
My boat is 140 miles distant.
You can access under rear seat without cutting the deck but I doubt that will be effective.
Please verify an alternative to cutting.

Winged Pig

Reaction score
I'm just trying to offer some suggestions as I have the same boat. If it were me I would at least give this a try before I cut the deck, but then that's just me. If you need a little more access you can always cut away some of the non load bearing plywood in the aft compartment for better access. You could even put it back with some cloth and resin after you were finished. I just looked at mine last night and it looked like it wouldn't be that big of a deal. A PITA, certainly, but nothing insurmountable.

Whatever you do, good luck with it and I look forward to hearing how you accomplish this task.

ahill

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll give it a try.
I've looked at the stb. side carefully, maybe I'll get lucky.
As with most hard to access areas PITA is a given.
I won't be back to the boat for a week or two, if you get a chance see if you can reach the scupper hose clamps on your boat and let me know your results.

Winged Pig

Reaction score
I was at my boat earlier today before I saw your question, but I did take a look at things again. It looked like I might be able to at least reach the inboard floor drain portion of the scuppers. I did not try to reach the outlet portion of the hose, nor did I try to reach the outboard floor drain. Not sure if I could reach that or not, but even if I could It did not look like it would be fun to do. However, it did look like it would be pretty easy to cut away a portion of the vertical plywood on the starboard outside of the rear compartment, to gain access to everything. You still might have to be a bit of a contortionist to complete the job, but I think visibility would be pretty good. I think I would feel comfortable doing that and I don't think it would be a problem patching it up with some cloth and resin and there would not be any issue of additional water intrusion.

I'm sure that you could do the job by cutting another six inch access hole near the scuppers and put a pop out plate in to cover it up, and I believe things would work out fine for you. That said, I have not had my boat that long and I've already replaced the gaskets for the three floor plates that were factory installed. That is a concern for me, but maybe I'm just being anal. I have yet to remove the two large floor panels, but I plan on doing that this winter to check the tanks and everything else that is under the floor. Maybe I should wait until I do that before I finalize my thoughts.

Anyway, I hope that helps and I look forward to hearing how you finally address this issue.

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I inquired with grady white on this issue, the port side appears to be reasonable accessable by removing the bait well, the starboard side is the tough one. The suggestion was to cut an access port behind the transom door to access this area, I have not tackled this job yet!!

cedarholm

Reaction score
Can't help with access, my GW is an old Escape 209.

I did use white, flexible pvc when I replaced.

There was wire inside the old, black hose.

Kevin Hawes

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I am in the process now of replacing all my hoses ( once all hoses are removed I will take photos ) I have removed the port side hoses with little to no problems except the two hoses on the aft side of the port helm seat livewell and the two aft deck scuppers, on my 248 Voyager seems like for the livewell drain hoses the only access is installing a deck plate but will remove the main fuel tank floor panel again and see if there is access without cutting a hole and for the starboard aft scupper hoses will study that today ( have batteries removed and removing battery selection panel to see if I can fit down there ( use to climb into aircraft fuel tanks to seal leaks so have confined space experience in very tight spaces )unless someone has already found a way